Intuitively, why doesn't always picking unpopular integers lower Probability of winning lotteries?

scherz0

What’s wrong with my reasoning in purple? Please pinpoint which sentence and step fails. I seek intuition. I DON’T want proofs, or formal arguments. Thanks!

Presuppose lotteries let players pick any integer N32. Picking unpopular integers lowers your probability of winning lotteries. Why? Winning numbers range randomly from 1 to N. But you artificially narrow yourself to [32,N]. By disregarding [1,31], you flout the lotterys random distribution of winning integers! As [1,N] contains more integers than [32,N], picking numbers [1,N] proffers more chances to win than picking [32,N]. Q.E.D.

Here is my intuition. Let's assume that I artificially narrow myself to the range [N, N]. I.e., my range contains only one integer. Does it lower my probability to win? No, it does not. The probability is still 1/N, like that of everyone else.

It’s random - any pick has the same odds of winning.

Picking unpopular number increases the odds that, if you win, you will be sole winner, or at least have to share with fewer people, as your quote says. So the expected payout increases. 

On 4/14/2024 at 3:59 PM, scherz0 said:

By disregarding [1,31], you flout the lotterys random distribution of winning integers!

Non-sequitur. All numbers have equal chance of winning, so no choice, popular or not, alters your odds, but as swansont points out, unpopular numbers yield better average payouts.

On 4/14/2024 at 3:59 PM, scherz0 said:

As [1,N] contains more integers than [32,N], picking numbers [1,N] proffers more chances to win than picking [32,N]. Q.E.D.

You seem to presume N is less than 64, which is not always the case. Even if it is the case, your conclusion is again a non-sequitur. Picking five random numbers under 32 gives the exact same odds of winning as picking 5 random numbers in the range of say 33 to 40. This is the simplest of mathematics: Every possible choice has the same odds as any other if the draw is random.