Bioavailability of Magnesium threonate

Hey guys,

I just listened to dr rhonda patrick about magnesium threonate...

I have heard that most people are deficient in magnesium and it is generally recommended to supplement with magnesium for this reason.

Was just wondering, what the best supplement to take for magnesium? Does anyone have any opinions?

Also, does anyone know what the bioavailability of magnesium threonate is? And is it true that it crosses the blood brain barrier? If so, which scientific papers have proven this observation?

Thanks,

Also, does anybody know whether magnesium sulfate is absorbed at all through the skin (e.g. if taking epsom salt baths)? what are the latest scientific studies suggesting?

1 hour ago, Mark_Corbyn said:

Hey guys,

I just listened to dr rhonda patrick about magnesium threonate...

I have heard that most people are deficient in magnesium and it is generally recommended to supplement with magnesium for this reason.

Was just wondering, what the best supplement to take for magnesium? Does anyone have any opinions?

Also, does anyone know what the bioavailability of magnesium threonate is? And is it true that it crosses the blood brain barrier? If so, which scientific papers have proven this observation?

Thanks,

Also, does anybody know whether magnesium sulfate is absorbed at all through the skin (e.g. if taking epsom salt baths)? what are the latest scientific studies suggesting?

I'm not going to watch the video. (Actually it is against form rules to require readers to watch videos or follow links off-site in order to be able to discuss the topic.) Also videos take ages to communicate what can easily be put in a few lines of text. If you can summarise the key points the video makes it could be helpful.

Meanwhile though, from looking it up on the web, I can see there does seem to be evidence that a proportion of the population in N America is somewhat deficient in Mg: https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-319-40007-5_6-1  However this source says this generally does not seem to be severe enough to have significant health consequences.

The UK NHS says you can get all the Mg you need from your diet: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/others/  Spinach, nuts (e.g.in some breakfast cereals) and wholemeal bread are suggested as sources. (I eat quite a bit of nuts and spinach, though I don't eat wholemeal bread very often.)

I would very much doubt that Mg salts are absorbed through the skin.

Threonic acid was new to me. It is a sugar acid, a metabolite of Vitamin C, apparently. So that at least is interesting. I am by nature a sceptic when it comes to supplements, especially when there may be a commercial interest in pumping their benefits. My view is you are best off eating a varied diet with plenty of fruit and veg, exercising and not boozing too much and not bothering with supplements.

But I'll be interested in what more expert people on this forum may have to say about Mg threonate. 

The magnesium in your diet is likely to be largely present as /converted to free magnesium ions as soon as it hits the acid in your stomach.
So this magical counter-ion is irrelevant.

But I'm amused that threonate's wiki page led me to  this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickkopf
It may be childish of me, but I think that name is funny.