Mixing Liquids manual vs motorised

paulsutton

I am looking at building a device that makes it easier to stir or mix liquids together.  

Is there any advantages or disadvantages of

Manual stirring

Magnetic Stirring

device that use a paddle to stir liquids (usually a motor of some sort)

Or rotating the actual beaker so the liquid within moves around at a consistent speed. 

I have found by accident that the beaker I have here, sits nicely on a robot wheel, connected to a motor and Arduino, so if I can attach more securely should allow this to be set up while mixing.  I will eventually add a potentiometer to this so that the speed can be controlled and maybe a few other components, such as an on / off switch

Thanks

Paul

I'm not sure you fully appreciate:

a) how impossible your question is to answer in the absence of any information regarding the amount and composition of what you are attempting to mix.

b) how technically deep the answer you seek may be even given full disclosure of what you are attempting to do.

I've attached an open access brief summary paper 'A General Review of the Current Development of Mechanically Agitated Vessels': Jaszczur & Mlynarczykowska, Processes, Aug. 2020 to give you an idea of the basics. It runs to 39 pages and references no less than 309 sources. (downloadable from  https://www.mdpi.com/2227-9717/8/8/982)

This is not a topic you can at all usefully summarise in a single forum post.

The answers you seek will be in there somewhere, though not necessarily in an easily digested form. However, if you can narrow down the scope of your OP, one or other of us should be able to help clarify. 

processes-08-00982-v2.pdf

6 hours ago, paulsutton said:

I am looking at building a device that makes it easier to stir or mix liquids together.  

Is there any advantages or disadvantages of

Manual stirring

Magnetic Stirring

device that use a paddle to stir liquids (usually a motor of some sort)

Or rotating the actual beaker so the liquid within moves around at a consistent speed. 

I have found by accident that the beaker I have here, sits nicely on a robot wheel, connected to a motor and Arduino, so if I can attach more securely should allow this to be set up while mixing.  I will eventually add a potentiometer to this so that the speed can be controlled and maybe a few other components, such as an on / off switch

Thanks

Paul

If this is for amateur chemistry, in say 100-250ml beakers etc, you can buy a magnetic hotplate and stirrer for about £50 or so. These are standard lab gear and work fine for low viscosity mixtures and solvents.

Edited by exchemist

• 1 month later...