Dose neurons analyse themselves?

Hi folks! I'm wondering, dose neurons analyse themselvs? Anyone who might help me in this speculation? Besides, it's a bit hard finding facts on this matter... Such as studies. 

I'm also wondering, if consciousness happens due to this perhaps "self analysis". Or maybe it's due to their analysis of their own product... Neuron electricity. And they trough that maybe get to be self aware? I'm curious.   

Beds regards L. :)

Analysis is a high-order cognitive process that, so far as we know from this planet, only one or two species with large brain/body ratios can manage.  So, no, an individual neuron cannot analyze anything.  It can no more analyze than it can compose a symphony.  You might want to find a basic introduction to neurosciences.  Your Brain, Explained by Marc Dingman is an example.  Another neuroscientist, V S Ramachandran, has several accessible books out on the topic that have been quite popular.

19 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Analysis is a high-order cognitive process that, so far as we know from this planet, only one or two species with large brain/body ratios can manage.  So, no, an individual neuron cannot analyze anything.  It can no more analyze than it can compose a symphony.  You might want to find a basic introduction to neurosciences.  Your Brain, Explained by Marc Dingman is an example.  Another neuroscientist, V S Ramachandran, has several accessible books out on the topic that have been quite popular.

But, doesn't the system "analyse" its own energy? 

If you put a word in quotation marks, you are changing its meaning.  So I then don't know what you mean by "analyze."  

Also, it would help if you define "system" in this context.  Cells have more than one system that regulates their various activities.  

I sincerely apologize for not being specific. The system I was referring to was the central nervous system.  

And as I mentioned, I was simply curious.

Since this is a hypothetical question: I use goose eyes, as it is not sure it is a decided analysis that occurs. Since I don't know if It analyses? To outline that, I used goose eyes Danish for ( "" )  to show my lack of knowledge. So yes I changed its meaning ;)

I only just assume and wonder wether it might or might not,  have been reported that the central nervous system analyses its own neuro electricity?? 

Or if it's even possible? 

b. r. L. :)

2 hours ago, iNow said:

Collections of neurons can analyze collections of neurons, but individual neurons can only depolarize and cascade action potentials. 

Thank you so much! So am I I getting it right, that there's some sort of analysis of themselves in this processens when the collection of neurons analysis collection of neurons? 

Depends entirely on how you’re defining analysis. How are you defining analysis?

It’s better to think of it like water flowing or electric current through wires. 

You’re basically asking whether the flow of each is effected by the hoses which came before. The answer is of course, but we’re venturing on the idea of this being so obvious as to be useless. 

Analysis is breaking down something into its elements and then making a detailed examination of those elements.  Analysis as such seems too abstract and complex a process to be achieved by a single neuron. (and because analysis breaks down a whole into parts, it doesn't seem like the optimal path to a holistic sense of an aware self) 

I wonder if the process that is more relevant to consciousness (see Godel Escher Bach, by Hofstadter) is recursion, another one that seems to require a network of neurons.

Our awareness of self seems to have a recursive quality. We are aware of our perceptions. We are aware that we are aware. We are aware that we are aware that we are aware.  And so on.

The mind is thus involving a process of self-reflexivity or recursion.