(Assuming Gravitons are real) Could Humanity deploy something to possibly detect Gravitons in the Gravitational wave background?

HawkII

• HawkII changed the title to (Assuming Gravitons are real) Could Humanity deploy something to possibly detect Gravitons in the Gravitational wave background?
17 hours ago, swansont said:

Why would you try to detect them in the background, instead of a stronger signal?

The ones in Space detected by Pulsar Stars are larger than the small ones detected by Ground based LIGO. 

Putting some sort of Neutrino-esque Graviton detector in Space would mean the conditions are already temperature wise cold.

1 hour ago, HawkII said:

The ones in Space detected by Pulsar Stars are larger than the small ones detected by Ground based LIGO. 

That’s true but isn’t what I asked. Stronger gravitation should mean more gravitons, and the gravity signal from distant collapse of black holes is very, very weak. Put another way, how many gravitons would be in the PTA signal? How will you detect a quantized signal from that?

3 hours ago, swansont said:

Stronger gravitation should mean more gravitons

That's the fun thing, what we think should happen, may not be the case.

how many gravitons would be in the PTA signal?

'A pulsar timing array (PTA) is a set of galactic pulsars that is analysed to search for correlated signatures in the pulse arrival times.' (I just had to google this because I didn't know what that abbreviation meant.

We only need one to be detected, how many there are is irrelevant.

How will you detect a quantized signal from that?

Well I was hoping from this thread that people would tell me the methods Scientists have come up with to detect such things.

Edited by HawkII

20 minutes ago, HawkII said:

That's the fun thing, what we think should happen, may not be the case.

But you devise experiments based on what you expect from theory. You might see an unexpected signal, but if the mechanism isn’t right you just see nothing.

'A pulsar timing array (PTA) is a set of galactic pulsars that is analysed to search for correlated signatures in the pulse arrival times.' (I just had to google this because I didn't know what the abbreviation meant.

We only need one to be detected, how many there are is irrelevant.

How many there are correlates to the chance you will detect one. If you detect one in a billion and your flux is one per second, it could be years before you detect it.

And you need to detect more than one, because you need statistics. Detecting one won’t be distinguishable from the noise.

Well I was hoping from this thread that people would tell me the methods Scientists have come up with to detect such things.

That’s not how you framed the thread

Here are a couple of articles on the topic

“Testing quantum gravity has long been thought to be out of reach of experiments, based on estimates that show it would take a collider the size of the Milky Way to accelerate protons enough to produce a measurable amount of gravitons (the quanta of the gravitational field), or that we would need a detector the size of planet Jupiter to measure a graviton produced elsewhere. Not impossible, but clearly not something that will happen in my lifetime.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2016/04/13/how-well-finally-wind-up-testing-quantum-gravity/?sh=6fff3015529e

“The key place to look for gravitons — or a signature of the “particle” part of the nature of these gravitational waves that we’ve demonstrated exist — would be where quantum gravitational effects are anticipated to be strongest and most pronounced: at the shortest distance scales and where gravitational fields are strongest. There’s no better place in the Universe to probe this regime than where two black holes merge, as close to their singularities as you can conceivably get.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2020/11/20/ask-ethan-can-we-find-out-if-gravitons-exist/?sh=5bfb19ab1c85