citation? (split from Transgender athletes)

4 hours ago, mistermack said:

I made a considered post keeping to the thread subject, and instead of addressing the points made, you pick nits, about the wording of a phrase. Your debating style is constantly parrotting  "citation" and this kind of pointless and unfathomable nitpicking which might mean something to you, but it's hardly enhancing the debate.

Some (most?) of us care about facts, and when you make a purportedly factual claim, it’s not unreasonable to ask for the source of that information. Just making assertions (or worse, offering opinions as if they were facts) runs afoul of the rule on soapboxing, and possibly others.

It’s not nitpicking.

On 7/12/2023 at 11:23 PM, swansont said:

Some (most?) of us care about facts, and when you make a purportedly factual claim, it’s not unreasonable to ask for the source of that information. Just making assertions (or worse, offering opinions as if they were facts) runs afoul of the rule on soapboxing, and possibly others.

It’s not nitpicking.

So you're saying that it can't be abused, which was my point?    

Otherwise, you are just erecting a strawman. I was pointing out that some people overdo it, as a spoiling tactic. You make the general point that asking is not unreasonable. Of course it's not, unless it's abused.

It's like someone complaining about being stabbed, and you explaining how useful and necessary knives are. 

All very true, but not the point.

2 hours ago, mistermack said:

So you're saying that it can't be abused, which was my point?    

Otherwise, you are just erecting a strawman. I was pointing out that some people overdo it, as a spoiling tactic. You make the general point that asking is not unreasonable. Of course it's not, unless it's abused.

It's like someone complaining about being stabbed, and you explaining how useful and necessary knives are. 

All very true, but not the point.

Avoid the issue if you want, but consider yourself on notice that continuing to dodge the rules (2.8 and 2.12, in particular) you will find yourself on the outside, looking in.