Another missing area

I can't imagine ever noticing that, but now I see why it works for other triangles with the same areas. If you skew the triangle eg. to make a right-angle triangle, you don't change the areas. If you uniformly scale the triangle vertically by r (preserving the ratios between the areas), and then scale horizontally by 1/r, each region's area is scaled by the same factor.

16 minutes ago, md65536 said:

I can't imagine ever noticing that, but now I see why it works for other triangles with the same areas. If you skew the triangle eg. to make a right-angle triangle, you don't change the areas. If you uniformly scale the triangle vertically by r (preserving the ratios between the areas), and then scale horizontally by 1/r, each region's area is scaled by the same factor.

More rigorously,

Spoiler

the big triangle with the area 4+2 and the small triangle with the area 2 have the same base. Thus, the ratio of their areas equals the ratio of their heights. The same holds for the ratio of the triangles 3+x+y and x.

Now, these triangles have common heights, i.e., the triangles 4+2 and 3+x+y share the height, and the triangles 2 and x do too. Hense the above ratios of their areas are equal.