What cool things can i do with sulphur???

Halash

Sulphur is insoluble in water. However, it is soluble with most nonpolar solvents.

Hmm.. Let's see, for sulphuric acid making...

You need to burn liquid sulphur in air to make sulphur dioxide.

Then, the sulphur dioxide has to be oxidized by the Contact Process with the catalyst of V2O5, about 450 degrees Celsius and a pressure of 1 - 2 atm. (oh yea, the reaction's exothermic).

The result is sulphur trioxide. Combine this with water and you got yourself some sulphuric acid!! Now, the difficult part: Do you have the apparatus for this?

If not, please don't do it.

Actually, DO NOT do it anyhow. The process above produces droplets of sulphuric acid almost impossible to condense, not to mention it is extremely exothermic.

If you can really get the above going; if you can really make SO2 with your equipments without dying, then you can try treating the SO2 with 98% concentrated sulphuric acid to get H2S2O7 (fuming sulphuric acid). Add water to this and you get H2SO4.

Sulphur is insoluble in water. However' date=' it is soluble with most nonpolar solvents.

Hmm.. Let's see, for sulphuric acid making...

You need to burn liquid sulphur in air to make sulphur dioxide.

Then, the sulphur dioxide has to be oxidized by the Contact Process with the catalyst of V2O5, about 450 degrees Celsius and a pressure of 1 - 2 atm. (oh yea, the reaction's exothermic).

The result is sulphur trioxide. Combine this with water and you got yourself some sulphuric acid!! Now, the difficult part: Do you have the apparatus for this?

If not, please don't do it.

Actually, DO NOT do it anyhow. The process above produces droplets of sulphuric acid almost impossible to condense, not to mention it is extremely exothermic.

If you can really get the above going; if you can really make SO2 with your equipments without dying, then you can try treating the SO2 with 98% concentrated sulphuric acid to get H2S2O7 (fuming sulphuric acid). Add water to this and you get H2SO4.[/quote']

okaie thenn

i won't try that

make sulfuric acid!

S8+O2-->SO2 if you heat. also, presence of oxidizer works a charm.

lead the SO2 over V2O5 at something like 400 celsius and it will oxidize to SO3.

lead the SO3 into water and it will form H2SO4.

food for thought: boiling point of SO2 is -10 celsius, so if you use a condenser, you can actually liquify the SO2 and have it drip onto the V2O5 so you get much better yields. as it drips it will vaporize almost immediately, as the V2O5 will be hot, but i would imagine high yields would be obtained. SO3 will be a thick, dense white gas

just a note: SO2 is a choking gas and SO3 is more so. both are corrosive but the latter is far more so and an incredibly strong dessicant. even at 1ppm it causes "coughing, choking and severe discomfort" according to the merck index

also, be careful what tubing you use; your gases may corrode certain types of plastics

I'd imagine it would react with zinc quite well if the zinc was powdered and mixed in the correct molar ratio with sulfur and ignited. The result would be zinc sulfide.

if sulfur and oxygen have the same outer shells.... couldn't sulhur react with carbon just like oxygen does?????????????????????????

You can take your sulfur and add some mercury to it. The sulfur will soak up the mercury making a dark 'sludge'. In reality, sulfur is used to clean up small mercury spills because it soaks the stuff up like a sponge, and once soaked up it doesn't want to give it back. I have my mercury samples surrounded by sulfur in the rare chance that the container breaks.

The result is sulphur trioxide. Combine this with water and you got yourself some sulphuric acid

The result is extremely exothermic, according to my book.

In this connection, we would use very concentrated sulphuric acid to trap the gas forming fuming sulphuric acid and add little water to get concentrated concentrated sulphuric acid again.

if you can really make SO2 with your equipments without dying, then you can try treating the SO2 with 98% concentrated sulphuric acid to get H2S2O7 (fuming sulphuric acid). Add water to this and you get H2SO4.

The result for adding sulphur dioxide into con. sulphuric acid is H2S2O7?

I don't know it , is it true?

The con. sulphuric acid oxidizes the sulphur dioxide? is it the answer?

If yes, will sulphur dioxide more likely change into sulphate ion or sulphur trioxide?

The result for adding sulphur dioxide into con. sulphuric acid is H2S2O7?

I don't know it ' date=' is it true?

The con. sulphuric acid oxidizes the sulphur dioxide? is it the answer?

If yes, will sulphur dioxide more likely change into sulphate ion or sulphur trioxide?[/quote']

No, this is not true. The SO2 simply will bubble through the acid.

What is true is that if SO3 is added to H2SO4, you get the following reaction:

H2SO4 + SO3 ---> H2S2O7

You can even go further. Such a liquid, containing SO3, dissolved in H2SO4 is called oleum.

Forget abouyt making SO3 at home, unless you have real good equipment or have very good experience. There is a thread on sciencemadness about making SO3 and if ou read that, then you'll conclude that making SO3 is very hard for the home-chemist.

Making SO2 is not that hard, just burn some sulphur and you'll get SO2 with a tiny amount of SO3 as impurity.

Some nice things to do with sulphur:

Dissolve some sulphur in hot mederately concentrated solution of NaOH. That gives you a solution, containing sulfides, polysulfides and thiosulfate. If you have sulfide, then you can make polysulfides.

If you have acetone, dissolve some of the sulphur in acetone (only a very small amount actually dissolves) and then add some aqueous NaOH. You'll see a very special reaction, formation of a deep brown sulphur compound with disgusting smell. For me this reaction is a mystery, but it is quite interesting to see.