Calculating the reaction energy in a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery

Kerrowman

Can anyone help me calculate the Gibbs free reaction energy in a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery with the combined equation?

LiC6 + FePO4   →   C6 + LiFePO4  

Since the Lithium ions are acting as intermediaries and are on both sides, I understand that they can be removed from the equation.

Since the formation energies of all these molecules are not listed in any tables I can find, I presume I have to work from the components of each molecule, so using the Gibbs formation energies of Li+, C6, Fe+, Fe2+ and PO43-, before I can use the combined equation above? 

For example to get the ΔG°f (FePO4) do I use the equation:

Fe3+ + PO43-   FePO4  and then just add the ΔGof Reactants together, which would be -5 + (-1019) kJ/mol

I have found the following formation energies so far:

ΔG°(Li+) = -58kJ/mol, ΔG°(C) = 0kJ/mol (standard state?), ΔG°(Fe2+) = -79kJ/mol, 

ΔG°(Fe3+) = -5kJ/mol and ΔG°(PO43-) = -1019kJ/mol

For the combined equation I then need to use ΔG°r = 𝛴 ΔGof Products  - 𝛴 ΔGof Reactants, however I am not clear how to get the formation energies of all the components in the first place.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I don't have lots of time to write a reply at the moment I'm working on a lab. However if you can find the redox potentials for the cell you could use:

ΔGo= nFE

n is the number of moles used in the balanced equation

F is faraday's constant of 96500 Cmol-1

E is your cell potential under standard conditions (reduction - oxidation potentials)

If you need help ask or there are lots of good online videos on that equation.

Regards,

Harry