RLE project - Huffman's algorithm/Algorithms for compression

IDontKnow4003

In March 2024, I'm going to have to create a programming project as apart of my computer science Alevel, which I'm aiming to replicate the Huffman's algorithm (which is a type of lossless data compression) in  C# so that it is a functional app that can be used.

However, I want to expand on this with other types of algorithms that seem complex enough to add to this project and that are also related to compression (can be lossy or lossless) which I could replicate in C#.

I asked my teacher for examples and they suggested a form of run length encoding. I am also planning to add it in but I want to ask for more examples for algorithms that I could have as an option to compress. Any suggestions?

3 hours ago, IDontKnow4003 said:

I asked my teacher for examples and they suggested a form of run length encoding.

LOL. Run-length encoding is 1000x simpler than Huffman's algorithm...

In March 2024, I'm going to have to create a programming project as apart of my computer science Alevel, which I'm aiming to replicate the Huffman's algorithm (which is a type of lossless data compression) in  C# so that it is a functional app that can be used.

Did I read right? March 2024? Not 2023?

Any suggestions?

Finish at least one project before you think about a new one..

If you do it right, i.e. virtual classes and methods, adding any other compression algorithm should not be a big problem..

Edited by Sensei

On 1/26/2023 at 9:33 PM, Sensei said:

March 2024? Not 2023?

Yeah, my college decided to have us prepare a year earlier for the project cause apparently prevois years didn't do well in the preparing stage, so they got lower grades overall

On 1/26/2023 at 9:33 PM, Sensei said:

Finish at least one project before you think about a new one..

I sorta wanted to plan exactly what to do after i finish Huffman's though.

37 minutes ago, IDontKnow4003 said:

Yeah, my college decided to have us prepare a year earlier for the project cause apparently prevois years didn't do well in the preparing stage, so they got lower grades overall

Sigh..

Run-length encoding is job that can be done by layman in programming within one day.

Huffman's algorithm is job that can be done by layman in programming within one week.

By layman = someone who has never programmed before.