Can't connect. AGGG!!

ecoli

Ok, here's my problem. I just bought a new laptop and everything is great except for the fact I'm having trouble connecting to the internet. At home, I can connect to the internet through my LAN (DSL) and its all good. But I can't access wireless internet at home or school, or the LAN at school. I know my computer "sees" the connection because it lists the connections in "Network Connections" but I can't figure out how to use these connections to access the internet... Oh, I'm using XP Home.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me. Thanks a lot.

Is your firewall on? If so is it on high security?

Are you on the right band? (a,b,g) It should connect anyway automaticaly, but if you have an wireless card that only supports b and g you might have some probldems. yet, i have never found an A network.

Is your firewall on? If so is it on high security?

My firewall is set to medium security

Are you on the right band? (a,b,g) It should connect anyway automaticaly, but if you have an wireless card that only supports b and g you might have some probldems. yet, i have never found an A network.

I have a 802.11g wireless card, I don't think that would be a problem, though, because under Network connections, it says it reads the signal and it fully connected. Besides that wouldn't explain why the LAN at school (not wireless) isn't working either.

All you have to do is click connect at the bottom of the "available network connections" once youve highligt the network you want to connect to.

I've done this, and it connects, but my Internet still doesn't work.

You may need to configure your Internet Settings with the correct gateway/DNS servers. Often these must be entered manually even if the IP address is assigned by DHCP. Maybe check the TCP/IP properties of a LAN PC if you have the permissions.

Thanks for all the help...but I just have even bigger problems now.

I was trying to set up my wireles connection via instructions from a .pdf file the company of my router (3com) provided. Not only did my wireless not work, I lost connection of the internet for my entire Network. I called 3com, but I didn't have a service plan, so they only would help me between the hours of 8am and 8pm. So I call back the next day, and they won't help me until I register my product...which I can't do because I don't know the where and when it was purchased. This is because I didn't buy the product myself, but by a friend of the family, who also own this computer networking company.

At this point, it was late, and I had a paper to write for school, so I figured I deal with it in the morning. So while I'm typing my report, on my new HP Pavilion Special Edition (which I had just bought on Saturday), the laptop just shuts off, and won't turn back on, not even attached when to an outlet.

So the next day I go back to Best Buy, and I wait on line for about an hour, and they can't fix it. Nor do they have any more of that type of computer, So I got a Sony Vio instead.

So when I get home with my new laptop, I decided to call this family friend to see if he could help me.

So I called him, and I explained the problem. He said that I needed to get my PPPoE user name and password from my ISP, and enter that info into the router settings and it would be ok.

So I called verizon, and he got my modem back online, but my router still does work, and he couldn't help me with that. I believe I still need to get my PPPoE information, which I thought was given to me, but apparently he was just telling me about my verizon account information. So I'm boring my girlfriend's cable modem while I get this thing sorted out at home.

It's been a very stressful couple of days.