Conductivity of atmosphere (split from We Still Don't Know How Lightning Is Generated)

trevorjohnson32

2 hours ago, exchemist said:

Suggest you read and learn, and refrain from outlandish speculations. 

Well how do you explain the high conductivity of different layers of the atmosphere? gravity would probably create layers of atmosphere that thin out in a sudden. Meanwhile the Earth's magnetic field is larger then its gravity field. Colder magnet's are stronger. 

2 minutes ago, trevorjohnson32 said:

Meanwhile the Earth's magnetic field is larger then its gravity field.

This doesn't make any sense. They have different dimensions, scaling properties, and dependence with distance and orientation.

11 minutes ago, trevorjohnson32 said:

Colder magnet's are stronger. 

Curie's law doesn't apply here. AFAIK, higher conductivity in the upper layers of the atmosphere is to do with ionisation due to cosmic rays. In the thermosphere there's actually a temperature inversion, so it's not colder, but warmer than adjacent layers. Magnetic fields are not responsible for separation of charges to significant distances. Electric fields are. Friction is probably involved too. Stop hijacking/soapboxing, please.

I will be quiet now, because I want to learn something. I suggest you do the same.

28 minutes ago, joigus said:

higher conductivity in the upper layers of the atmosphere is to do with ionisation due to cosmic rays.

'm not finding anywhere that the conductive layers of the atmosphere have ever been suggested, so I don't know why you are suggesting there would already be an answer to my question. Perhaps its your cliche or some mental stigma you follow that I don't... anyways the ionization of cosmic rays would suggest that the sun charges the conductive layers of the atmosphere is that right? What does that have to do with thunderclouds? I don't see lightning when its sunny?

12 minutes ago, trevorjohnson32 said:

'm not finding anywhere that the conductive layers of the atmosphere have ever been suggested, so I don't know why you are suggesting there would already be an answer to my question. Perhaps its your cliche or some mental stigma you follow that I don't... anyways the ionization of cosmic rays would suggest that the sun charges the conductive layers of the atmosphere is that right? What does that have to do with thunderclouds? I don't see lightning when its sunny?

(my emphasis)

You suggested them:

1 hour ago, trevorjohnson32 said:

Well how do you explain the high conductivity of different layers of the atmosphere?

Cosmic rays don't come from the Sun. They come from every direction in the sky. They affect the conductivity of the atmosphere, but do not explain separation of charges.

And this is not your question.

• swansont changed the title to Conductivity of atmosphere (split from We Still Don't Know How Lightning Is Generated)
1 hour ago, joigus said:

AFAIK, higher conductivity in the upper layers of the atmosphere is to do with ionisation due to cosmic rays.

Your knowledge seems correct @joigus.

(Italics by me)

This radiation interacts (Cosmic radiation) with atoms in the atmosphere to create an air shower of secondary ionising radiation, including X-rays, muons, protons, alpha particles, pions, and electrons. Ionization from this secondary radiation ensures that the atmosphere is weakly conductive

Source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_electricity#Cosmic_radiation