Python Selenium - element is not attached to the page document - once button is clicked

ravikumark

When I click on an item inside a dropdown list, the item is correctly clicked but the error: "stale element is not attached to the page document" is raised.

I guess this error is raised because of an element I use as changed inside the DOM or has been refreshed, but I didn't find any solutions for now. Here's my code:

exam_question_type = self.driver.find_element(By.XPATH, f"//*[name()='svg'][@class='css-19bqh2r']")
exam_question_type.click()
WebDriverWait(self.driver).until(ec.visibility_of_element_located((By.CSS_SELECTOR, 'class=" css-b02ejv-menu"'))
select_question_type = self.driver.find_elements(By.CSS_SELECTOR, 'class="CustomOptionMenu_button__2GnMd"')
for type in select_question_type:
    if type.text == "QCM grid":
        try:
            ActionChains(self.driver).click(type).perform()
        except StaleElementReferenceException:
            pass

What i'm doing wrong?

In the thread https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12967541/how-to-avoid-staleelementreferenceexception-in-selenium

"This can happen if a DOM operation happening on the page is temporarily causing the element to be inaccessible. To allow for those cases, you can try to access the element several times in a loop before finally throwing an exception."

"Generally this is due to the DOM being updated and you trying to access an updated/new element -- but the DOM's refreshed so it's an invalid reference you have.."