Eat only wheat+hazelnuts+chickpeas+B12 : what deficiencies ?

raphaelh42

Hello, I was thinking about eating only wheat(for Carbohydrate), hazelnuts(for Lipid), chickpeas(for Protein) and B12 supplements.

Of course I guess I would want to change food after some time and I would but let's imagine I wouldn't please...

I did not calculated yet if I could get enough calories without overdosing Carbohydrate/Lipid/Protein... maybe I should calculate before asking but I'm asking anyway...

Do you know what deficiencies this diet would cause (if it would cause some...) ?

Offhand, I's say Iron and Vitamin C, probably lots more, and I'm guessing you'd do better with potatoes for the carbohydrate, but I'd rather you did the research for your question than me. 

Edited by Peterkin

21 hours ago, Peterkin said:

Offhand, I's say Iron and Vitamin C, probably lots more, and I'm guessing you'd do better with potatoes for the carbohydrate, but I'd rather you did the research for your question than me. 

I thank you very much for your response, after your message I did some quick researches about wheat vs potatoes and it looks potatoes are "better" although I see they contain less carbohydrate.

So I am going to replace wheat by potatoes for this combination. (I'd like to edit my first post+title but it looks I can't, I'll probably contact a moderator)

I am going to do serious researches to try to fully reply to my question, I think I wanted to be able to discuss about it before starting...

Edited by raphaelh42

1 hour ago, raphaelh42 said:

I did some quick researches about wheat vs potatoes and it looks potatoes are "better" although I see they contain less carbohydrate.

That's a relatively low consideration, when you count in the carbohydrate content of legumes and nuts.

Hazelnuts are pretty good from several points of view. Not as nutritious as almonds, but far more sustainable to cultivate, and doesn't take as long as walnuts, which are also pretty good. Better yet, peanuts - less tasty, but high in protein and fat, contain calcium, potassium, fibre; they're also cheap and less demanding of the environment than tree nuts. 

1 hour ago, raphaelh42 said:

am going to do serious researches to try to fully reply to my question, I think I wanted to be able to discuss about it before starting

Good approach. There is a lot know.

Be mindful that you will probably not always have the luxury of dietary experimentation. If you embark on an experiment, it's best to get your information lined up - not just from the physiological point of view, but all the other considerations: access, price, environmental impact, life-style changes, social implications. 

Don't forget to take and keep good notes!      

On 8/2/2022 at 6:38 PM, raphaelh42 said:

Hello, I was thinking about eating only wheat(for Carbohydrate), hazelnuts(for Lipid), chickpeas(for Protein) and B12 supplements.

Of course I guess I would want to change food after some time and I would but let's imagine I wouldn't please...

I did not calculated yet if I could get enough calories without overdosing Carbohydrate/Lipid/Protein... maybe I should calculate before asking but I'm asking anyway...

Do you know what deficiencies this diet would cause (if it would cause some...) ?

A, C, K, K2, D, copper, selenium, zinc, and a few other essential nutrients, and you would be short on methionine.  This is a terrible diet and would result in multiple deficiencies and eventually severe illness.  About the only thing positive I could say is you've got your fiber covered.  

And subbing potatoes for wheat, while it would mitigate scurvy, would further reduce some of your B complex vitamins and be less of a complementary protein with the chickpeas.  Starchy tubers are generally not nutrient-dense.

On 8/3/2022 at 1:38 AM, raphaelh42 said:

Why are you doing this? It sounds bonkers. 

@Peterkin
I didn't notice that nuts has that much carbohydrates : o
I thank you very much for these information

@TheVat
I thank you for detailing that much

@exchemist
@Phi for All

I try to do a recipe that contain all the recommended elements (without food from animals)
(I would try to do several to avoid getting disgusted/tired)

I imagine a bucket containing all the recommended elements (with precise quantities) for a day, and I would divide the bucket for each meals I have in the day.

I don't try to follow trends, I love convenience and simplicity but my goal is really as I said above, I would do complicated and uncomfortable for efficiency and apparently this is the way to achieve my goal, I say that because I realize now that nutrition looks very complex...

I was thinking that one food for carbohydrates, one for lipids and one for proteins could be "good" but of course it would have be too easy.

I know that it is recommended to eat varied to improve chances to get everything needed, but I don't want to buy everything in the store and hope I will be great without too much of this or too few of this... I want to know as much as possible what I need precisely...

So I will continue my researches, thank you all for helping me, information are still very welcomed.

:)

Edited by raphaelh42

Getting complete nutrition from a vegan diet is difficult - we humans evolved as omnivore hunter-gatherers.   If simplicity you seek, a soy milk or pea milk with added B12 is a good start.  Then whole grain, nuts, green vegetable (broccoli is handy as it provides both K and C), yams, mushrooms, and olive oil.  And a little variety in your pulses (which are lentils, beans, chickpeas, soy) helps reduce gaps in nutrition.  

If you are willing to bend a little it may not be a bad idea to once a week have a few free range eggs or a few sardines.  Compare how you feel (energy, alertness, strength) on the pure vegan diet with the almost-vegan diet.