which os

eruheru

Not to make Callipygous made but I think people that say stuff like that really havn't tried to learn Linux; they just get frustrated for one reason or another and decide to return to Windows. The distro can be a big factor. In Ubuntu' date=' for example, there is a little sound / media thing that most people have problems with. Fedora doesnt coem w/ MP3 support. Some distros are text installs...[/quote']

absolutely right, i didnt try. i have complete faith in my intelligence and ability to learn new things. i know i could have picked it up and become profficient with it if i wanted to. i just decided it wasnt worth my time and effort with all the new things i was having to deal with.

absolutely right, i didnt try. i have complete faith in my intelligence and ability to learn new things. i know i could have picked it up and become profficient with it if i wanted to. i just decided it wasnt worth my time and effort with all the new things i was having to deal with.

i tried windows xp, but it wasn't worth the trouble of learning, so i went back to 95 :P

You can check out my linux article.

http://1veedo.homelinux.com/index.php?1veedo=linux

I'm writing another one for Linux newbies. Basics' date=' like how to install software, MP3 in Fedora, java, USB, things I remember having troubles or concerns about when I first started using Linux. I do have a short article I wrote about a month after switching but I'm going to try to explain things like tarballs, kernel upgrades, etc.

http://1veedo.homelinux.com/misc/fedoraconfig.html

Not to make Callipygous made but I think people that say stuff like that really havn't tried to learn Linux; they just get frustrated for one reason or another and decide to return to Windows. The distro can be a big factor. In Ubuntu, for example, there is a little sound / media thing that most people have problems with. Fedora doesnt coem w/ MP3 support. Some distros are text installs...

A small thing like that and the halo factor kicks in. Linux is not perfect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect[/quote']

For people running ubuntu, the wiki, forums and unofficial guide are GREAT, litrally step by step instructions for nearly everything :D

i tried windows xp, but it wasn't worth the trouble of learning, so i went back to 95 :P

major differences in windows xp... more things are automated and they made the bottom bar prettier?

there are plenty of differences, just none that really require you to learn anything new.

bad analogy.

major differences in windows xp... more things are automated and they made the bottom bar prettier?

there are plenty of differences' date=' just none that really require you to learn anything new.

bad analogy.[/quote']no, it is a good one. same level of learning.

no, it is a good one. same level of learning.

it really isnt.

first of all, it suggests that linux is about as much better than xp as xp is over 95. it also suggests that its about the same as far as what new things you have to learn. neither of those is true.

it really isnt.

first of all' date=' it suggests that linux is about as much better than xp as xp is over 95. it also suggests that its about the same as far as what new things you have to learn. neither of those is true.[/quote']

as the better, it is faster and and you don't have to worry about spyware, adware, or viruses and such.

as for learning, it takes pretty much no learning. i am using Linux and you are using Windos...who would know how much learning it takes?

as for learning, it takes pretty much no learning. i am using Linux and you are using Windos...who would know how much learning it takes?

weve covered the fact that i have tried linux.

if were switching over to such blantantly false statements as this im done.

it is not false. you say there is so much to learn but you don't say what you had to learn.

i dont remember the specifics, i dont really need to.

having to learn a new system is the reason linux will not be replacing windows in most peoples homes for a long time.

its pretty common knowledge. linux fans PRIDE themselves on the fact that they use a system that is designed for more capable users. windows is designed so grandmother can use it. im not gonna try to explain all the new and different things that make it confusing for someone whos used to windows.

i dont remember the specifics' date=' i dont really need to.

having to learn a new system is the reason linux will not be replacing windows in most peoples homes for a long time.

its pretty common knowledge. linux fans PRIDE themselves on the fact that they use a system that is designed for more capable users. windows is designed so grandmother can use it. im not gonna try to explain all the new and different things that make it confusing for someone whos used to windows.[/quote']

wtf?

i switched without telling my family. they thought that i just changed the desktop settings.

there is virtually nothing to learn. you keep saying you have so much you need to learn, but you can't tell me what. nice argument.

rofl

so were clear? im a fanboy and your "too gay" to realise im right. glad we covered that.

and back on the topic:

linux wins if you want lots of web browsing and similar activities, windows will probably be less hassle for most of your gaming needs.

done?

and back on the topic:

linux wins if you want lots of web browsing and similar activities' date=' windows will probably be less hassle for most of your gaming needs.

done?[/quote']

si. as i said 87 billion posts ago.

which tells me that your family never does anything deeper on that computer than double clicking the icon for their browser.

what a shock that they wouldnt see a difference...

Linux is good for people with know knowledge or limited knowledge as it is very similar to windows for most things.

Linux is good for technical people who know concepts and can work things out easily.

Linux is BAD for people with a psydo windows technical outlook, who have issues with linux as it doesn't do things in the same way so "isn't compatable" or is "complicated".

Linux is good for people with know knowledge or limited knowledge as it is very similar to windows for most things.

Linux is good for technical people who know concepts and can work things out easily.

Linux is BAD for people with a psydo windows technical outlook' date=' who have issues with linux as it doesn't do things in the same way so "isn't compatable" or is "complicated".[/quote']

the rest of us chose to drop this discussion line specifically because it dwindled down to posts like this that do nothing more than attack peoples credibility and box people into stereotypes.

the rest of us chose to drop this discussion line specifically because it dwindled down to posts like this that do nothing more than attack peoples credibility and box people into stereotypes.

My apologies, I had the reply open rather a long time.

It was not designed to attack anyone credibility, just a statement bassed on my own experiance and the experiances I have read about from a great number of people.

And yes I agree with you if all you want is a games machine then windows is probably a more appealing idea for most people...