The Philadelphia Experiment

Kyrisch

Also a sub made with angles would be rather slow.

There have been stealth ships as well, but you have to deal with the radar return from the wake as well, plus all of the other stuff.

I don't believe that the Philidelphia experiment would have worked as described. Why wasn't there a big "hole" in the water where its hull was supposed to be?

• 4 months later...

What about the whole teleportation part of the story, where

Concurrent with this phenomenon, the U.S. Naval base at Norfolk, Virginia, just over 600 km (375 miles) away, reported sighting Eldridge offshore for several minutes, whereupon Eldridge vanished again and reappeared in Philadelphia, at the site it had originally occupied — a supposed case of accidental teleportation.

or has this part been debunked?

I can you know. Light-by-light scattering (a box diagram with a fermion in the loop and photons on the legs).
Is that like Rayleigh scattering? If not then I don't follow, could you please explain what is actually going on in light-by-light scattering?

Is that like Rayleigh scattering? If not then I don't follow, could you please explain what is actually going on in light-by-light scattering?

Here´s the post of Severian we (at least me) were talking about: http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showpost.php?p=215519&postcount=58

It´s not direct scattering in the sense that there is a fundamental force for photon-photon interactions but an indirect one (at least to my understanding of the terms direct and indirect) because you need a second field (any charged field; it´s an electromagnetical interaction). However, this can happen in vacuum; you don´t actually need any electrons or other charged particles present for this process to happen.