Philosophy II

Wizard22

On 7/29/2022 at 8:32 AM, Wizard22 said:

"The Meaning of Life, is Life" this answer isn't going to cut it.  I believe most will agree on this.

I don't; it might be a tautology but sometimes that's the only answer there is.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/29/2022 at 4:39 AM, dimreepr said:

Name one, and please include, how you know.

A demonstration is very different to an explanation (a demonstration is, most often, far easier) due to language unspoken; if you tell me what you think piety mean's, it will give me a better chance to explain what I mean.

Please read the thread again, but this time read it, without your filters/bias/ego, as if you want to learn (and yes you need to want too).

Philosophy isn't about being right, it's about knowing your own foibles and applying that understanding to other's, you can't teach until you've understood the lesson...

Kittens and Puppies do not need to be taught how to play.  They do so naturally, among their litter mates, without instruction.

On 7/30/2022 at 3:59 AM, dimreepr said:

I don't; it might be a tautology but sometimes that's the only answer there is.

There are many Meanings of Life, if you ask around, philosophically.

Some people find meaning in Art.  Some people find meaning in Science.  Some people find meaning in Sport.  Some people find meaning in Work.

Most people find meaning in Love and Family.

Are you unaware of all this, or just playing with me here?  You've found no meaning in any of these before?

5 hours ago, Wizard22 said:

Kittens and Puppies do not need to be taught how to play.  They do so naturally, among their litter mates, without instruction.

They're taught how to "play nice", when they play with their mother.

Most people find meaning in Love and Family.

Perhaps; but some people, who have no family and weren't loved, find meaning anyway; the most satisfying food is tasted when you're hungry, even if it's a half eaten burger you found in a bus shelter, that smelt of piss and vomit (especially if you're pallet is highly refined). It's a ying yang thing, if you've never loved, you'll never know hate.

Are you unaware of all this, or just playing with me here?  You've found no meaning in any of these before?

I'm just trying to teach you, my understanding.

Edited by dimreepr

Because most people find their Meaning of Life in love and family, sex and reproduction, then it's significant and a standard of the conversation.  Surely, some individuals find Meaning outside of reproduction, but how and why?  Some men are remembered for great and exceptional deeds, throughout history.  History is defined by these exceptions.  People are inspired by that (Meaning).

Thus, Meaning is directly linked to Inspiration.  A Meaningful life, is an Inspired life, is it not?

My response on Online Philosophy Club Forum:

If Objective Reality were not accessible then it wouldn't be "Real". I think rationality, logic, and deduction are used to access Objective Reality. Existence exists, beyond human knowledge. Existence doesn't require you or I, to exist. If you fall asleep, the universe doesn't disappear with your unconsciousness.

That said,

It's pretty obvious that people are holding back what they really believe about the Meaning of Life when they say "The Meaning of Life, is to live" or "the meaning of a dog, is a dog". You can do better than stating the obvious. If you want to be honest, and say you don't know, then go right ahead. At least it's honest. Many people presume to know, but have doubts about what they believe.

Religious people are more convinced, about their Meaning of Life, which they believe comes from God. At the very least, with them, with the religious fundamentalist, they can give concise, relatively clear answers, by compared to what we see in this thread. Maybe non-religious people don't know the Meaning of Life. Maybe non-religious people don't have a Meaning of Life. Maybe, being non-religious, your life literally, phystically, spiritually, has NO MEANING.

I'm open to that probability. In fact, I take people at their word. Many people, simply do NOT have a meaning of life. Their lives are meaningless. They are Nihilists. They don't believe in meaning, at all, in the first place. Maybe that's what we're working with, here?

1 hour ago, Wizard22 said:

My response on Online Philosophy Club Forum:

If Objective Reality were not accessible then it wouldn't be "Real". I think rationality, logic, and deduction are used to access Objective Reality. Existence exists, beyond human knowledge. Existence doesn't require you or I, to exist. If you fall asleep, the universe doesn't disappear with your unconsciousness.

That said,

It's pretty obvious that people are holding back what they really believe about the Meaning of Life when they say "The Meaning of Life, is to live" or "the meaning of a dog, is a dog". You can do better than stating the obvious. If you want to be honest, and say you don't know, then go right ahead. At least it's honest. Many people presume to know, but have doubts about what they believe.

Religious people are more convinced, about their Meaning of Life, which they believe comes from God. At the very least, with them, with the religious fundamentalist, they can give concise, relatively clear answers, by compared to what we see in this thread. Maybe non-religious people don't know the Meaning of Life. Maybe non-religious people don't have a Meaning of Life. Maybe, being non-religious, your life literally, phystically, spiritually, has NO MEANING.

I'm open to that probability. In fact, I take people at their word. Many people, simply do NOT have a meaning of life. Their lives are meaningless. They are Nihilists. They don't believe in meaning, at all, in the first place. Maybe that's what we're working with, here?

You seem to be arguing against yourself, for instance, if reality doesn't depend on you then neither does meaning, therefore meaning has an external thingy to which it's attached, but it's definitely not you, religious or God.

if-a-person-wishes-to-achieve-peace-of-mind-and-happiness-th-author-friedrich-nietzsche - Copy.jpg

Edited by dimreepr

If Meaning is external

I have, literally, never said that...

If Meaning is external, then how do you know it doesn't originate from those sources you just said?

I feel like we're on a roundabout, I have, literally, said that it can originate from an external source, the meaning of which, is up to you; for instance, the bible is meaningless, if you can't read it.

I mean, you're presuming quite a lot, right there.

And you're assuming you have a legitimate argument. 

Edited by dimreepr

2 hours ago, Wizard22 said:

An argument takes two sides.

Contractiction has two sides, not necessarily true of an argument; as this sketch neatly explains...

2 hours ago, Wizard22 said:

It seems that you are the only one remaining interested in this thread and the Meaning of Life.  Do you have any questions, or answers, remaining?

No thanks, I know my meaning of life; I remain in the hope that I can convey my understanding to you, because it's a very peaceful place...   🙏 😇 😉

16 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Contractiction has two sides, not necessarily true of an argument; as this sketch neatly explains...

No thanks, I know my meaning of life; I remain in the hope that I can convey my understanding to you, because it's a very peaceful place...   🙏 😇 😉

If you knew your meaning of life, then I believe you would have demonstrated such knowledge earlier in this thread.

Since you have not, I can only presume you are implying more than you let on.

Furthermore, you were wrong when you accused my Meaning of Life as nihilistic.  That proved to me that you weren't paying attention to what I was saying, and the course of this discussion, as well as the "arguments" within it.  My "Meaning of Life" must have something in common with yours, yours with mine, and all other Life.  That's the key.  Life is a force greater than oneself.

Since you are the last participant in this thread, I will reply as long as you like, but I think you have more to learn from me than me from you, at this point.

15 minutes ago, Wizard22 said:

If you knew your meaning of life, then I believe you would have demonstrated such knowledge earlier in this thread.

How would I do that?

16 minutes ago, Wizard22 said:

Furthermore, you were wrong when you accused my Meaning of Life as nihilistic.

It wasn't an accusation, it was an observation, that I'm happy to accept is wrong, when you present a reasonable argument.

20 minutes ago, Wizard22 said:

My "Meaning of Life" must have something in common with yours, yours with mine, and all other Life.  That's the key.  Life is a force greater than oneself.

Why?

21 minutes ago, Wizard22 said:

Since you are the last participant in this thread, I will reply as long as you like, but I think you have more to learn from me than me from you, at this point.

The difference between us is, I hope you're right and you want to win.