Recursive equation

Genady

While playing in my mind with a question from another thread, the one about n choose k calculation, it occurred to me that it could be solved via a following recursive equation (regardless of the standard derivation of the well known formula for n choose k).

If we select any one element out of n, all groups of k are of two types: the ones that include the selected element and the ones that don't. There are C(n-1,k-1) choices for the former and C(n-1,k) for the latter. Thus, we get this recursive equation: C(n,k)=C(n-1,k-1)+C(n-1,k).

There are two variables there, so perhaps we need two boundary conditions. These could be, e.g., C(n,1)=n and C(k,k)=1.

It is easy to check that C(n,k)=n!/(k!(n-k)!) solves this equation. My question is, is there a way to derive this solution from the equation? I never worked with recursive equations. Maybe there is a way to convert it to a differential equation? Or, to massage it until the solution gets self-evident?

Applying the recursive equation to its right side, we get:

(n,k)=(n-1,k-1)+(n-1,k)

=(n-2,k-2)+2(n-2,k-1)+(n-2,k)

=(n-3,k-3)+3(n-3,k-2)+3(n-3,k-1)+(n-3,k)=...

We get binomial coefficients:

=(3,3)(n-3,k-3)+(3,2)(n-3,k-2)+(3,1)(n-3,k-1)+(3,0)(n-3,k)=...

Interesting turn, although I don't see it helping to derive a solution for the equation. Yet.

Continuing this substitution all the way, the final line will be:

(n,k)=(k,k)(n-k,0)+(k,k-1)(n-k,1)+(k,k-2)(n-k,2)+...+(k,0)(n-k,k)

12 hours ago, Genady said:

Thus, we get this recursive equation: C(n,k)=C(n-1,k-1)+C(n-1,k).

Yes, you're on the right track, as this is a well-known property of combinatoric numbers.

What you call "boundary conditions" are actually the pillars of what looks like calling for an induction proof. Induction on n and on k separately perhaps?

A differential equation or similar would only apply for very big n, very big k, and very big n-k, so I don't think it would work. Approaching factorials by continuous variables is done when deriving the Stirling approximation, for example.

6 hours ago, joigus said:

... what looks like calling for an induction proof.

If we have the ansatz, (n,k)=n!/k!/(n-k)!, then we don't need an induction proof as it satisfies the equation directly:

(n-1,k-1) + (n-1,k) = (n-1)!/(k-1)!/(n-k)! + (n-1)!/k!/(n-k-1)! = (n-1)!*k/k!/(n-k)! + (n-1)!*(n-k)/k!/(n-k)! = n!/k!/(n-k)! = (n,k)

42 minutes ago, joigus said:

And what about uniqueness?

For any given k, the equation uniquely determines (n,k) based on (n-1,k) and (n-1, k-1). That is, (n,k) is uniquely determined for any n by (k,k) and (k,k-1) by using the equation stepwise from n=k to n=n with the constant k.

(k,k)=1 and (k,k-1)=k are the boundary conditions. If they are satisfied by a formula, than this formula is a unique solution for any n for a given k. Since the given k is arbitrary, it is unique for all n and all k.

Here is a little Excel "experiment" to test uniqueness.

n goes vertically, k goes horizontally. Column A corresponds to (n,1) and is populated by hand with n. This is one boundary condition. Cells on the diagonal correspond to n=k and are populated by hand with 1. This is another boundary condition. All the red cells are populated with the recursive equation, (n,k)=(n-1,k)+(n-1,k-1). They are automatically and uniquely populated by Excel.

2022-02-01.png.eddb94cc1e6ab142dafb297ca6d27d66.png

I think it's interesting to think about problems in original ways. I'd never seen a combinatorics problem thought in terms of solving a hierarchy of equations with boundary conditions.

Your solution is, of course, correct, AFAICS. By "boundary conditions," also, I understand what you mean.

I'm somehow lingering on your suggestion of treating factorials as continuous. The continuous version of a factorial is a gamma function. The C(n,k) combinatoric number reminds me a lot of the (inverse of) the beta function that appears in particle physics. I wonder if there's something to that idea... Maybe some other day.

I come from physics. In physics you always try to do the calculation in the simplest possible way. ;) 

Reshuffle all you can and eliminate the redundancy, to me, is the simplest way to do combinatorics; mark, and then un-mark, if you know what I mean (as I said in the other thread.)