Black sapphire turns blue

dcy1939

Black sapphire turns blue

Some sapphires are black and not of high value. This is because it contains "atomic iron", because iron atoms have very many energy levels and can absorb almost all the frequency range of visible light, so they appear black. No one has been able to solve this problem well for decades. I use chemical and physical methods and use heat treatment to cleverly find a solution.

According to solid physics theory, iron atoms exist in the sapphire lattice gap, so its mobility is relatively high. If an adsorption layer is coated on the sapphire shell, the mobility of iron atoms in the adsorption layer is relatively low. When heated, iron Atoms will be absorbed by this adsorption layer. At this time, if the crystal lattice originally contains divalent iron, it is sky blue, and if it contains trivalent iron, it is yellow. Without any iron ions, it is white. If the color of other gems is not pure, if it is interference from iron atoms, this method can also be used to solve it.

Because of the constraints, I used the semiconductor process method to prove this technology direction, and found that the black sapphire turned blue. See photos. But the analysis temperature needs to be further increased. This method is simple, low-cost, and does not damage the crystal structure, and does not affect the natural defects of the gemstone, such as cracks, tiny bubbles, etc., so it cannot detect artificial traces, so it does not reduce the "natural" nature of the gemstone. Can add value.

Now consult the units that have high-temperature equipment, especially those with 1600°C, such as "oil 1600°C furnace" or "silicon carbide heating furnace", and cooperate in the following tests. 

1. Black turns blue 6park.com

2. Adjust the blue color (incorporating certain ions) and try to approach "Sri Lanka blue" 3. Yellow gems turn blue or white

4. The white gemstone turns red or blue.

lbsE2.jpg

10 minutes ago, dcy1939 said:

The photos before and after processing have shown that the color has changed

If you can change black sapphires to blue sapphires, I recommend you to stop wasting your time on this forum and start changing those cheap Australian sapphires to expensive blue gems.

Good luck!

Edited by Bufofrog

12 hours ago, dcy1939 said:

I used the semiconductor process method to prove this technology direction, and found that the black sapphire turned blue.. See photos. But the analysis temperature needs to be further increased. This method is simple, low-cost, and does not damage the crystal structure, and does not affect the natural defects of the gemstone, such as cracks, tiny bubbles, etc., so it cannot detect artificial traces, so it does not reduce the "natural" nature of the gemstone. Can add value.

lbsE2.jpg

"See photos" tells us nothing. We need to see the methodology. What was this semiconductor process? We do not know the grade of the untreated sapphire or it's control specimens. We do not know the apparatus used, the method of containment nor the pressure/temperature/duration. How about some gemological data on the finished product that actually alludes to the value add"?

Photoshop fails the smell test.

If I were you, I'd start there and disclose some real time data, before expecting anyone with a substantial inventory to stumble over themselves, no less ship to an anonymous client.

12 hours ago, Bufofrog said:

I think it is common practice to heat treat sapphires to enhance the color.

Correct.

Natural blues are heated in the ground. Black in subsequent events.

Besides that, black have higher value than the blue when they have good clarity or/or stars. And we all know what they mean by the saying "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"

Polishing a turd does not always mean added value. The opposite can be true too.