What parts of calculus are actually useful in physics?

rohit17

Virtually everything.

The most rigorous proofs are generally overlooked, like those based on epsilon and delta to prove existence of limits or continuity, etc.

Multivariable calculus is used a lot. Also infinite series, limits, derivatives, integrals, improper integrals, complex analysis... The whole shebang!

6 hours ago, rohit17 said:

I’m currently in the middle of taking my calculus class and I was wondering how much of what I’m learning is applicable in physics. Is everything taught in calculus applicable in physics or only certain portions?

How long is a piece of string  ?

You haven't said what you have been taught so far or what you are objecting to.

There are no short cuts and there is great danger in trying to take them.

Both the differential calculus (which joigus mentioned) and the integral calculus are of vital importance in Physics, Chemistry and Engineering and increasingly so in the softer sciences like Biology and Economics.

The important thing for someone wanting to benefit from the calculus is to understand what is going on.
Tables of results and algebraic manipulations are readily available but you can't manage without being able to follow so many derivations.

For examplea

The potential energy of an electric charge in an electric field is evaluated by performing an integration of the work done as we move the charge from infinity to its position in the electric field.

Both the First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics require knowledge and understanding of differential and sometimes integral calculus to be able to use them.

Even the simple equations of kinematics taught in secondary school require this if derivation or more advanced application is needed.

Edited by studiot