Neutron Star Astrochemistry

Theoretically it is somewhat common for particularly dense neutron stars to form a solid crusts, much like a planet's, with any matter that happens to be around them. At these densities, the neutronium between the crust and the center of mass forms a sort of mineraloid structure (known as "nuclear pasta"). I've been curious as to the chemical properties of this as well as the mechanisms responsible. Does the composition of a neutron star's crust effect the formation of nuclear pasta in any way? For example, would it make a difference if the neutron star formed its crust out of ethane or cyclopropenylidene? What if you threw some magnesium or caesium into the equation? I'm not limiting discussion to these, but they're simply examples to work with (presuming that there would be any difference whatsoever, that is).

Neutron stars are composed almost entirely of 'nuclear material with a 'possible' heavy element 'atmosphere'.
As such, the normal chemical ( electron bonding ) reactions we normally associate with Chemistry, don't happen.

I suggest the local library, or download an e-file, of the book Dragon's Egg, by R L Forward ( a Physicist ).
It is Science Fact-ion, and provides a 'realistic' look at 'life' on a neutron star.

15 minutes ago, MigL said:

Neutron stars are composed almost entirely of 'nuclear material with a 'possible' heavy element 'atmosphere'.
As such, the normal chemical ( electron bonding ) reactions we normally associate with Chemistry, don't happen.

I suggest the local library, or download an e-file, of the book Dragon's Egg, by R L Forward ( a Physicist ).
It is Science Fact-ion, and provides a 'realistic' look at 'life' on a neutron star.

Very fascinating, thank you for the recommendation!

Edited by Anchovyforestbane