Instant Pre-Cognition in Dreams

Alloverthemap

33 minutes ago, Alloverthemap said:

I agree that dreams are representational, though I can never figure out why certain people to whom I have absolutely no connection to, nor do they have any connection to the subject matter at hand -- Doc Gooden for instance -- pop in for these cameo appearances.

After more than four decades of private study, there remains much I haven't figured out myself about dreams and the nature of dreaming.  However, what meager insights I have managed to glean from the science suggest that every aspect of dream content is descriptive of either a mental or social influence.  To understand why Doc Gooden often appears as a character in your dream, you'll have to view him as you would a word in a sentence that conveys either a mental or social meaning.  For example, a house's depiction in your dream could describe your unconscious perceptions of either a mental or social structure such as the state of one's sanity or marriage.  Very often, the people in our dreams interpret the mental effects of certain social influences. In your dreams, Doc Gooden describes as social influence that has had a Doc Gooden-like social affect on either your thoughts or behavior.  How you might perceive Doc Gooden's personality in real life defines what social affect his character in your dreams interprets.

1 hour ago, Charles 3781 said:

Dreaming in black and and white is probably  a temporary phenomenon .

Caused by the  black and white televisions that we used to be continually exposed to, when of a certain age.

I mean, our human eyes perceive colours. Therefore our perceptions in dreams should also be in colours.

To confirm this, please try remembering any colours in a dream, on waking up.

If I may add, whatever we are capable of experiencing in physical reality, can and does appear in our dreams.  The content of our dreams relies on the stores of memories we've amassed through life experience.  For example, if we were raised in a world without knowledge of cars, cars would not appear in our dreams.  Dreaming in either color or black and white isn't unusual. Like every other aspect of dream content, coloring is an interpretation--how our active unconscious brain interprets some aspect of what it believe it's experiencing amid the sleep process.

If I may also add to other references in this discussion regard an inability to recall dream details and content, memory was evolved for experiences that had a real physical/material impact on the survival of ancestral animals.  Dreams are mental experiences and do not arise concurrent real life experience.  Our dreaming brain is able to detect our dreams' non-association with impactful real life experience and, consequently, do not retain memories of them easily. 

25 minutes ago, Alloverthemap said:

This was exactly what I was thinking. When I was young I was under the impression that when you dream you dream in black and white. Then I had a dream in color and it was a major surprise. I remember that well. I'm of a generation that didn't get a color TV until I was 7 years old. Of course, movies were in color, but I hadn't seen many of those in the theaters at that age. I do wonder if we could examine dream studies from the pre-color media era if we would find that everyone dreamt in monochrome. And if that's the case, then have we only learned to dream as elaborately as we now can because of the advent of the moving picture?

Allover, you're making some interesting points.

About the black and white dreams.  These are not the natural way that we dream.  

Our eyes are adapted for colour vision.  This colour vision is supplied to our brain.  Which records the vision in memory. In full colour.  And we see that vision  in our dreams

To prove this,  think of something  you've seen in the past.  Perhaps a person, or a place.  See it - now - in your mind's eye. 

Whatever you see in your mind's eye - I bet  it's in colour.  Not in black and white!   Your memory records the colours.

Seeing things in black and white has been a temporary thing caused by past lack of technicolor on screens.