Run OSX on x86 :D !!!!!

bloodhound

For those who have been out of loop, it seems you can now run osx on x86. From what I have read there are two ways of doing it.

no 1. You need at least a SSE2 capable CPU. If you have AMD64 which is capable of SSE3 then apparently you will get every functionality, but sse3 isn't necessary

check the following link for more instuctions

http://www.360hacker.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1108

screenshots:

stats6ao.jpg

dashboard2aq.jpg

no 2. is using VMWare, don't need sse2 google to find instructions.

11238072914837kx.jpg

11239212446340ls.png

Let us know if you have tried it and got it working. I might try it a bit later.

I've been following this with great interest, and have been wondering if it might be time to pick up a copy of OS X and see if I can get it working. I'm an old Mac fan from the early days, and I think another OS option would be really cool.

You say that as if Linux wasn't "emulating" something itself. All operating systems are copies or extensions of earlier ideas anyway, if you want to be cynical about it. That doesn't make them bad or worthless.

You know, I'm reminded of an old joke from the early days:

Q: "What do you get when you use UNIX?"

A: "You get eunochs!"

(Okay, it works better verbally. But it's still a pretty good joke!)

Wait, it's free!? I'm about to go download it myself!

BTW postgrep, Apple actually moved to x86. The PPC, I guess, is no longer going to be produced(?) and newer releases aren't going to run on PPC(?) That's just waht I get from the move. They may still make OS X compatible with the other archetecture.

http://osx86project.org/

looks like the official page. they have released some patches including one for the kernel so that you can make Rosetta to work with SSE2

I can't wait to try it out. I just need an external drive, or could do it on a network.

edit:when i meant it's free, i meant it's "free" wink wink nudge nudge. there seems to be two versions of image. one the hacked version for SSE2 and the original from the dev kit. There is also a fake from GNAA which loads of goatse and other similar images on boot.