Jump to content
Barcelona

Organic synthesis

Recommended Posts

Can someone recommend a trustworthy company that provides synthesis service of small scale.
I have asked several companies, but they only do larger scale synthesis. 
Any comment or recommendation will be highly appreciated.
Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are plenty, but it depends a bit on what exactly you need, why you need it, and who you are / who you are affiliated with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

There are plenty, but it depends a bit on what exactly you need, why you need it, and who you are / who you are affiliated with.

Yeah, you are right, I should list  the info you mentioned, and choose the most suitable company to work on my project. 

I need the chemical (CAS NO: 871836-51-0) for 5 kg, and need the price lower than sigma aldrich.

Attached is the chemical structure.

 

871836-51-0.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t call 5 kg a small scale by any stretch. I can have a look tomorrow, but you could try Oakwood if you’re located in the US. There are other companies that specialise in small heterocycles that might be worth looking at, but 5 kg is quite a bit and I wouldn’t expect it to be cheap. Maybe not sigma prices, but not too much under that. You can sometimes find random Chinese companies that will do it for much cheaper, but you pay for that at your own risk. 

If you have access to SciFinder, the supplier search function can be useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2020 at 3:45 PM, hypervalent_iodine said:

I wouldn’t call 5 kg a small scale by any stretch. I can have a look tomorrow, but you could try Oakwood if you’re located in the US. There are other companies that specialise in small heterocycles that might be worth looking at, but 5 kg is quite a bit and I wouldn’t expect it to be cheap. Maybe not sigma prices, but not too much under that. You can sometimes find random Chinese companies that will do it for much cheaper, but you pay for that at your own risk. 

If you have access to SciFinder, the supplier search function can be useful.

Thanks. I made a mistake, not 5kg, but 500g. Thanks for your advice. And SciFinder is of great help. ;) Have you ever outsourced your project to a Chinese company since you said it may take a risk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Barcelona said:

Thanks. I made a mistake, not 5kg, but 500g. Thanks for your advice. And SciFinder is of great help. ;) Have you ever outsourced your project to a Chinese company since you said it may take a risk?

I have ordered things from random Chinese companies in the past, and I did in fact receive what I wanted, but their packaging and labelling leaves much to be desired. I received 10 grams of a beige power in a zip lock bag (!!) with a totally different label on it. The declaration for customs said it was something that it wasn't, which is obviously illegal. It was definitely worth it for the price ($600 instead of $3k), but we won't order from them again. I've had friends order antibodies from other companies there and receive them fine, but the packaging said that they were shipping empty tubes. Like I said, you can order from them at your own risk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2020 at 3:45 PM, hypervalent_iodine said:

I wouldn’t call 5 kg a small scale by any stretch. I can have a look tomorrow, but you could try Oakwood if you’re located in the US. There are other companies that specialise in small heterocycles that might be worth looking at, but 5 kg is quite a bit and I wouldn’t expect it to be cheap. Maybe not sigma prices, but not too much under that. You can sometimes find random Chinese companies that will do it for much cheaper, but you pay for that at your own risk. 

If you have access to SciFinder, the supplier search function can be useful.

and do you know any other forums containing chemical synthesis, I cannot find more, I want to know more about this , I am just a beginner. Thanks!

34 minutes ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

过去,我是从随机的中国公司订购产品的,实际上我确实收到了我想要的东西,但是它们的包装和标签还有很多不足之处。我在一个拉链锁袋(!!)中收到10克米色粉末,上面带有完全不同的标签。海关申报表说这不是事实,这显然是非法的。价格绝对值得(600美元而不是3k美元),但是我们不会再向他们订购。我有朋友从那里的其他公司订购抗体,并收到了罚款,但包装上说他们正在运送空管。就像我说的,您可以向他们订购,后果自负。 

okay, thanks. ::)

6 minutes ago, Barcelona said:

and do you know any other forums containing chemical synthesis, I cannot find more, I want to know more about this , I am just a beginner. Thanks!

okay, thanks. ::)

have you asked them why they used different label? was that because the powder looks like hard drugs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Barcelona said:

have you asked them why they used different label? was that because the powder looks like hard drugs?

No point. I have no idea why they did it. 

32 minutes ago, Barcelona said:

and do you know any other forums containing chemical synthesis, I cannot find more, I want to know more about this , I am just a beginner. Thanks!

You mean like a discussion forum like this one? Chemical forums is good. Can I ask what you're needing this stuff for? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

No point. I have no idea why they did it. 

You mean like a discussion forum like this one? Chemical forums is good. Can I ask what you're needing this stuff for? 

you should ask them about it if it is really important, maybe they thought it was nothing, but I also disagree their ignorance of the label and package without any reasons.

I want to know more about chemical synthesis, and collecting as many as sources is what  I usually do when I began to start a learning project.  haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Barcelona said:

you should ask them about it if it is really important, maybe they thought it was nothing, but I also disagree their ignorance of the label and package without any reasons.

It was over 2 years ago, there’s really no point. 

4 hours ago, Barcelona said:

want to know more about chemical synthesis, and collecting as many as sources is what  I usually do when I began to start a learning project.  haha

 

I more meant why do need this specific chemical in such amounts?

There are certainly cheaper and easier ways of learning about synthesis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

It was over 2 years ago, there’s really no point. 

 

I more meant why do need this specific chemical in such amounts?

There are certainly cheaper and easier ways of learning about synthesis.

Should it because I think chemical synthesis forums be more practical than books, some issues mentioned in forums may not contain in the books.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.