TV's

Rakdos

Well actually most front projection TVs are either based on LCD or DLP technology, which is similar to LCD in several key aspects (the size of the chip, the kind of image you get, etc). If you mean rear projection, I guess CRT is still a pretty common option there, but I believe even there you're seeing more and more LCD- or DLP-based units.

I have an InFocus 4805 projector, which has become kind of the "Model T" of home theater projectors. It produces an astonishingly bright and colorful image. Understand, I'm a bit of a gourmand when it comes to image and sound quality -- my sound system alone cost more than most Plasma TVs when I bought it. But we're so satisfied with the results that I've given up going to the movies entirely (my wife still goes with friends as a social thing; I won't go again until they ban and block cellphones, period).

The only issue with front projection is light control -- you can't watch a movie in bright lighting. But believe it or not, this is not so much a problem with the brightness of the units as it is a problem with the brightness of the stored image. HDTV, for example, is quite viewable in bright room lighting conditions. DVD, on the other hand, is dim and uninviting in comparison (until you turn off the lights).

So don't rule out front projection unless you absolutely have to. The price advantages alone make it a really great way to go. But if you do go rear projection, take a serious look at DLP.

DLP is arguably better than LCD right now -- the color and contrast seems to be better, particularly for movie watching. But the LCD units are said to be improving rapidly.

I can recommend several forums and web sites for you if you're interested.

LCD is better than CRT, and DLP may be better than either. The other advantage of DLP is that you can also buy it in the flat-screen variety, looking every bit like a Plasma screen (which it is not). Don't be fooled by the perception that a reasonably-priced, reasonably-large television has to be a great big monster that dominates the entire room!

And again, don't sell yourself short -- take a serious look at front projection. Where else are you going to find a 100"+ image of Plasma quality for $1500 or less?

BTW, make SURE you get a 16x9 television. Whatever you do, don't buy a 4x3. Even if you're not currently interested in HDTV, the writing is on the wall here. Every single network program in prime time is now produced in HD, plus all major sporting events and many minor ones, and much (soon most) of the stuff you see on the "cable" channels as well (SciFi, TNT, Discovery, etc). And DVD movies look much better on a 16x9 TV as well (since most won't be letterboxed).