Alternative to fusion energy

Curious layman

Hi, got a query, I remember reading about two types of energy a while ago, and I can't find them anywhere. I'm not even sure if I imagined them or not. All I get from web searches are different types of fusion, renewable energy or energy companies. 

Can anybody tell me the names of them please, sorry for poor descriptions, 

1) apparently if you can squeeze water through a really tiny space it will produce electricity?

2) this one involves vibrating an atom, I think, to produce electricity?

again, sorry for really rubbish descriptions but that's all I can remember, that's why I was searching for them. Was going to post in news.

The second one seems a lot easier and cheaper than fusion but I never hear anything about it! and I was wondering if graphene would enable the first one to make progress.

Edited by Curious layman

No, wasn't that, I've heard of that, thought that was just another cold fusion. I.e. Wishful thinking. 

somebody worked out that if you could squeeze a molecule of water through an extremely small space it would produce electricity. The problem was working out how to attract them through. 

Ill keep searching, I've definitely read about it.