Methane and its effects

darkkazier

I have a question that i don't know where it fits really, but i figure this is a good place to start, if a terrorist exploded a nuclear warhead in the ocean in a part of the atlantic that has high deposits of frozen methane on the ocean floor, what would happen? Would a tsunami result from the explosion? I know the methane hydrate on the ocean floor is being touted as some kind of new potential energy source, so would this result in some massive chain reaction explosion? I know methan is a major greenhouse gas, so releasing large amounts would definately alter the climate, but how soon would those effects be felt( its for a book i'm writing in which a terrorist steals a nuclear weapon

Yeah, i was thinking it would just cause it to bubble to the surface and disperse into the atmosphere. But would that affect the ripple from the nuclear explosion? or would it be so hot it'd boil the water away before a tsunami was created, leaving them ethane to freely enter the atmosphere?

And for the rude guy, i am writing my book and i want it to be somewhat scientifically sound and make sense. And what better place to look for anwser on a forum dedicated to science?

Well, it is known that methane is bad for piston engines in planes (a large amount of it at once kills them) and probably jets too. If you released a pile of methane at once, any flights overhead would most likely have engine failures. Boats might as well. The could would then spread and disperse. Spark = kaboom.

I only brought up methane because i read that it was the cause of the biggest extinction event in the history of our planet. So, release the methane from the earth's sea floor first(which i'm sure a terrorist sucide bomber would easily do, then explode the nuke above the oceanand you have a huge firebomb that could cover miles plus a tidal wave hitting the east coast(since their are very large deposits on the atlantic seafloor)?

The troll has been Bliketized. Carry on.

darkkazier, not trying to change your plot, but what if the nuke released the methane, the tsunami is now carrying the released gas towards the mainland, where an oil spill has caught fire and threatens to ignite the methane when the wave reaches shore!

Now the question is if the tsunami would push the methane ahead of it or not.

The troll has been Bliketized. Carry on.

darkkazier' date=' not trying to change your plot, but what if the nuke released the methane, the tsunami is now carrying the released gas towards the mainland, [i']where an oil spill has caught fire and threatens to ignite the methane when the wave reaches shore![/i]

Now the question is if the tsunami would push the methane ahead of it or not.

that definately makes more sense to me. but then comes the question of what the nuke would do to the Methane, would it simply burn it when the nuke went off or would the shockwave of the blast force the methane ahead? but i like the idea of a giant Methane cloud heading for the Eastern shore. That will make a very interesting plot, three seemingly unrelated events all planned for one final goal, the destruction of the upepr eastern seaboard. Thanks for al lthe suggestions, now i just need to find out what would happen to Methane if it was hit with the shockwave of a nuclear warhead, and i need ot find out if the shockwave and air current would actually carry the cloud or just destroy it?