how would I start with genetically engineering this?

peterwlocke

First, you need to find out which metabolites are responsible for the respective taste. Then a few years of work (depending on complexity) to figure which pathway produces these metabolites and how they genetically genetically connected and regulated. Then after a longer time you try to insert the pathways into your target organism. Depending on complexity it can be a lot of work or an incredible amount of work.

On 3/6/2019 at 8:40 PM, CharonY said:

First, you need to find out which metabolites are responsible for the respective taste. Then a few years of work (depending on complexity) to figure which pathway produces these metabolites and how they genetically genetically connected and regulated. Then after a longer time you try to insert the pathways into your target organism. Depending on complexity it can be a lot of work or an incredible amount of work.

hmm, not something to try till I am in college then. I guess I will stick with bacterial transformation buffers.

19 minutes ago, peterwlocke said:

hmm, not something to try till I am in college then. I guess I will stick with bacterial transformation buffers.

Realistically in college you will learn why the goal in OP is likely not achievable via genetic manipulation (i.e. because of complexity as well as the disruption of essential processes). 

oh i see. well there is other cool stuff you can do. i made glowy e coli i was not allowed to buy pathogenic tho.

1 hour ago, CharonY said:

Realistically in college you will learn why the goal in OP is likely not achievable via genetic manipulation (i.e. because of complexity as well as the disruption of essential processes). 

Yes, the difference is really between producing one (or even few) proteins vs trying to create a functioning pathway without fatally disturbing existing ones (not to mention the prerequisite understanding of either). Also it is good that folks generally do not have access to pathogens. That would be a very, very, very bad idea.