Sticky proteins that are a hallmark of neurodegenerative diseases might be able to be transferred from one person to another.

Itoero

Neuroscientists have amassed more evidence for the hypothesis that sticky proteins that are a hallmark of neurodegenerative diseases can be transferred between people under particular conditions — and cause new damage in a recipient’s brain.

They stress that their research does not suggest that disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease are contagious, but it does raise concern that certain medical and surgical procedures pose a risk of transmitting such proteins between humans, which might lead to brain disease decades later.

“The risk may turn out to be minor — but it needs to be investigated urgently,” says John Collinge, a neurologist at University College London

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-07735-w

6 hours ago, Silvestru said:

This made me cancel my X-mass dinner plans at Grandmas place :(.  Last time she sneezed in my face, I forgot my PIN number.

You live in the forest so your immune system is probably strong enough :) 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.