DBZs Gravity Chamber

Evangelante

Alright, whoever has seen DBZ knows that Vegeta trained in the gravity chamber bulma's dad made for him so that he could get strong at excellerating rates.

For those of you who don't know about this thing i'll give a bit of detail..

Imagine an environment where you can control the gravity and how much there is. 2 times earth's gravity, 4 times, 12 times... whatever number you choose

The thing is, in this environment you will be able to walk around, exercise, jog if you want to, and so forth.

In the show, Vegeta raises the level of gravity in the chamber to become more intense as he becomes stronger so he can gain more physical strength.

The idea behind all of this is that being in an environment like this while increase gravity will allow you to become stronger and faster once brought into the regular earth atmospher and gravity.

If you were to live on a planet with a human body in a place that has 10x earth's gravity and then come to earth, you would be 10x stronger than most humans.

Could such a gravity chamber be built?

The factors of returning your body into a regular state of pressure will be a necessity once leaving the chamber or falling asleep I believe.

if u were esposed to 10Gs you would just die.

a constant exposure to 2 gs would be uncomfortable, to say the least, but you would buils muscle ,mass from normal activities.

Could it be built, yeah kinda, in a space station with centrifugaly produced artificial gravity, but its unlikely to happen.

From what I understand a chamber as depicted in DBZ cannot be built (I was actually a modified spaceship where the gravity generator was imporved)

If you want to learn more about artifical gravity look at topics discussing star trec because artifical gravity is discussed often by treckies.

I don't think the human body would have problems adapting to high Gs but if a human who lived most of his life in a 10 G enviroment went to 1 G I woulden't be surprised if there were problems just like astronauts have in a ) G enviroment.

You should probably consult a doctor before attempting to emulate any behavior seen on DBZ. :P Your skeletal system could definately take it for short stints. I'm thinking your cardiovascular system would be the first thing to fail. Your heart and the valves in your veins would probably wear out if you spent any significant amount of time in such an environment, as 2Gs would mean twice the systolic blood pressure!

http://www.nym.org/healthinfo/docs/014/doc14.html

Also, if you tried to do more than 15-20G, even for an instant, you would probably die in a very spectacular and disgusting way. :D

• 2 weeks later...

what if (i don't think any human rights protestors would let this happen, but anyway...) you got a small colony of humans and sent them up to a large spacestation (or large centrifuge on earth which would probably be cheaper) that produced a 2g acceleration from rotation. and let them live there for a few generations. would the offspring adaptto the change in enviroment. i.e. shorter, stronger(in a 1g enviroment), maybe have a stronger skeleton although that is approaching on genetic evolution which would probably take longer. would this happen at all?

Evolutionary change that extreme would take many, many more generations than that. Natural selection would speed it up considerably, but since those people "unfit" i.e. taller people with weaker skeletons wouldn't exactly die off, it would make it harder for the population of humans in the space station to evolve.

i just woke up when i wrote that my brain was on an illogical path to the inevitable morning(afternoon in this case) thought "i'm hungry" so i wasn't really paying attention to what i was thinking to put down so some part of my subconcious dreamt that up and typed it.

• 7 years later...

To attempt an artificial gravity "chamber" would require an exact measure of how much gravity is exerted at a given time, and then a consistent way to multiply it. That's far out there for any engineers working on any similar projects.

To be fair though, there is a somewhat simpler, albeit still irritatingly complex and expensive, solution to your problem. Magnetics are a fantastic way to recreate such effects. What you'd need is a large, powerful magnet below you, and you'd need to be wearing metal that responds to magnetism. Pretty much all over.

This is the most feasible solution I can think of right now.

To attempt an artificial gravity "chamber" would require an exact measure of how much gravity is exerted at a given time, and then a consistent way to multiply it. That's far out there for any engineers working on any similar projects.

To be fair though, there is a somewhat simpler, albeit still irritatingly complex and expensive, solution to your problem. Magnetics are a fantastic way to recreate such effects. What you'd need is a large, powerful magnet below you, and you'd need to be wearing metal that responds to magnetism. Pretty much all over.

This is the most feasible solution I can think of right now.

Measuring the force of gravity isn't particularly difficult. Nor is measuring out multiples since the scale uses 1G for Earth's gravity. Producing gravity's effects isn't difficult either, strictly speaking. It just requires acceleration, which is easy to produce. The problem is maintaining high acceleration for any length of time since usually that involves traveling a fair distance. The easiest way around that is with a rotating wheel, but you're going to need to place that in orbit or Earth's gravity is going to be felt in addition to the wheel's acceleration, which won't be able to be consistently applied in the same direction.

Magnetism actually presents a much larger problem in terms of effect because it falls off much faster than gravity does. That means you're either going to need a very, very, very powerful magnet buried a significant distance underground, or else you're going to wind up with a major difference in the strength of the pull between someone's head and feet because the feet are going to be much nearer to the magnet.

You can always just try to live in a rotating chamber(preferably in space), with centripetal force compensation for the "G"s.
The speed of the rotation can be slowly increased for the body to slowly accustom the additional force. Unfortunately, that means that the muscles, once exposed to a place without that much gravity will have the same scenario as astronauts exposed to 0G.