Hijack from What is this fallacy?

NNY

The immigration "problem" in the US has been an ongoing problem for a long time.

Under the Obama administration from 2010 to 2012 over 200,000 parents were separated from their children according to this article. (http://www.latinainstitute.org/en/obama-lets-down-immigrant-women)

The "Wall" was first initiated by the Secure Fence Act of 2006 both Obama and Hillary supported the Act and voted in favour of it. 90% of the wall was built during both the Bush and Obama administrations.

Under Obama, 2.5 millions illegal immigrants were deported. (https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/obama-deported-more-people/)

But the snoops article does state:

However, that statistic is somewhat misleading, as a significant portion of it was due to a change in the way “deportations” are defined 

Also, the OP is funny because it is pushing a narrative that Trump is a villian, but doesn't push that same narrative against Obama, who was the President of the US when the exact same thing was happening during his term in office.

Edited by NNY

11 minutes ago, NNY said:

The immigration "problem" in the US has been an ongoing problem for a long time.

Under the Obama administration from 2010 to 2012 over 200,000 parents were separated from their children according to this article. (http://www.latinainstitute.org/en/obama-lets-down-immigrant-women)

The "Wall" was first initiated by the Secure Fence Act of 2006 both Obama and Hillary supported the Act and voted in favour of it. 90% of the wall was built during both the Bush and Obama administrations.

Under Obama, 2.5 millions illegal immigrants were deported. (https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/obama-deported-more-people/)

But the snoops article does state:

Also, the OP is funny because it is pushing a narrative that Trump is a villian, but doesn't push that same narrative against Obama, who was the President of the US when the exact same thing was happening during his term in office.

This wasn't the point of the OP, I will not discuss the the validity of the political points you raised as it's not the right section.
Snopes*
Obama didn't blame anyone for actions against immigrant thus does not apply to the original question about fallacies.

12 minutes ago, Strange said:

Nope. I might or might not think he is right (that is not relevant) it was his decision not the democrats. 

Silvestru stated the following

29 minutes ago, Silvestru said:

This wasn't the point of the OP, I will not discuss the the validity of the political points you raised as it's not the right section.
Snopes*
Obama didn't blame anyone for actions against immigrant thus does not apply to the original question about fallacies.

Which I agree is the original OP.  US Immigration law is not the fault of the Democrats, it has always been there.

But now I'm wondering what decision is it that Trump has made. 

12 minutes ago, NNY said:

US Immigration law is not the fault of the Democrats, it has always been there.

But now I'm wondering what decision is it that Trump has made. 

Aside from the point of OP again but I guess that he decided to blame and complain. "B&C"

12 minutes ago, Strange said:

To take a zero-tolerance approach to immigration which has caused headlines about children being taken from their families. 

Ok.

According to this article, the original 'zero tolerance' policy was initiated by Bush #2 in 2005, and the zero tolerance policy was 'scaled back' by Obama, but it is Trump who has re initiated that zero tolerance policy again.

5 minutes ago, NNY said:

Ok.

According to this article, the original 'zero tolerance' policy was initiated by Bush #2 in 2005, and the zero tolerance policy was 'scaled back' by Obama, but it is Trump who has re initiated that zero tolerance policy again.

If you'd like to discuss immigration there is already an Immigration thread open in Politics. Currently you seems to be using the Composition fallacy:

The fallacy of composition arises when one infers that something is true of the whole from the fact that it is true of some part of the whole (or even of every proper part).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_composition

20 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

Currently you seems to be using the Composition fallacy:

To an extent yes, eg: Because Obama was President when the same thing was happening under his presidency, there is little difference between Trump's stance and Obama's stance on the subject of immigration.

17 minutes ago, Strange said:

Did Bush say that it was the Democrat's responsibility? If not, this is an irrelevant diversion. (And, even if he did, it is irrelevant unless it leads us to a name for this tactic.)

I don't really care about American politics - my own country is fucked up quite enough, thank you.

I summerized the NYtimes article in order to clarify the facts. Nothing else is intended.

Those facts being Obama eased up on the zero tolerance policy, it was the Republicans who initiated it under Bush and that Trump is responsible for its reinstatement.

Edited by NNY

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.