Why when we do bionics most models dont attemp to bypass the skin?

Yvtq8k3n

For all the models i see. I notice that or either focus in the region of the brain that controls the limbs or either the aputated limb. However i notice that in the 2 case. The models dont try to get the information from the inside, but from the outside by using electrodes in the exterior. Ins't that less acurate, wouldnt be better to insert a device under the skin in order to retrieve the informaton? I also would like to know the process to move a part of the body works. How the information travel from my brain to the middle finger in order to raise it? 

For instance, the path to raise the middle finger is a unique path, in other words raising the indicator finger uses another path? Or it works more like a river where the path starts from the same place and then diverge, in other words the path to raise the indicator finger and the middle finger are the same at some point?

Edited by Yvtq8k3n

Well, it's difficult lifting the scalp off something to 'measure from the inside' especially if you want it to activate motor pathways, even in animal models.

Have a colleague developing a virtual environment for rats so they can lift the scalp off, put it on a track ball and get it to run round while they take some measurements of the brain. I swear, of all scientists, neuroscientists do the most f***** up things to animals.

Edited by Prometheus

1 hour ago, Yvtq8k3n said:

For all the models i see. I notice that or either focus in the region of the brain that controls the limbs or either the aputated limb. However i notice that in the 2 case. The models dont try to get the information from the inside, but from the outside by using electrodes in the exterior. Ins't that less acurate, wouldnt be better to insert a device under the skin in order to retrieve the informaton? I also would like to know the process to move a part of the body works. How the information travel from my brain to the middle finger in order to raise it? 

For instance, the path to raise the middle finger is a unique path, in other words raising the indicator finger uses another path? Or it works more like a river where the path starts from the same place and then diverge, in other words the path to raise the indicator finger and the middle finger are the same at some point?

There are brain implants. Is a foreign object being introduced though. Probably that and cost are the main reasons why they are not used more.

51 minutes ago, Prometheus said:

Well, it's difficult lifting the scalp off something to 'measure from the inside' especially if you want it to activate motor pathways, even in animal models.

Have a colleague developing a virtual environment for rats so they can lift the scalp off, put it on a track ball and get it to run round while they take some measurements of the brain. I swear, of all scientists, neuroscientists do the most f***** up things to animals.

There's the one method relying on light to see brain activity. Maybe that's what they're up to.

http://news.mit.edu/2018/seeing-brains-electrical-activity-0226

Edited by Endy0816
linking

17 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

There's the one method relying on light to see brain activity. Maybe that's what they're up to.

No, it's not a fluorescent technique, but i'm not sure exactly what they are doing. Can find out if anyone is interested.

I still would like to know how the information of moving the limb, works. Its a unique single path for each moviment? In other words can i exactly say some eletric charge is on the line 323, he is trying to move the indicator finger at position X, or its like the line 323(arm) has eletric charge he is trying to move something from the hand(but we cant tell what finger his...nor the action he is trying to do)

The "line" is just a example of the nerve system

Edited by Yvtq8k3n