New PMSM

VadShe

19 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

It's not clear to me what you are doing.

Do you mean something like the effect shown at about 9:20 in this video, but with the wire coil formed into a torus?

Yes it's similar, only there are a few differences
1. The wire does not have contact with magnets
2. Magnets also represent a twisted spiral, but it is located on the outside of the wire
3. Inside the wire there is a ferromagnetic core

I haven't seen this design before. It reminds me of a pancake motor, but then a brushless variant with cooling.

It looks very complex and expensive. Do you have any idea how you would make it? What is your air gap? What are the required tolerances? One design in particular with the core wrapped around the coils looks pretty impossible to make.

But if you think you can make it and have the budget: go for it.

Some other remarks:

- does your power density include the volume and weight of the cooling system?

- Your efficiency is pretty poor. I would have hoped for a higher efficiency for an expensive novelty motor.

- isn't it much simpler to implement the cooling on a regular PMSM? The cooling would be much more effective if it didn't need such awkward shape.

Edited by Bender

16 hours ago, Bender said:

I haven't seen this design before. It reminds me of a pancake motor, but then a brushless variant with cooling.

It looks very complex and expensive. Do you have any idea how you would make it? What is your air gap? What are the required tolerances? One design in particular with the core wrapped around the coils looks pretty impossible to make.

The gap size is 0.5 mm. It is not so expensive. We have ordered all part for two samples motor it's less than $2000. Mass production cost i think will be around $500 for kilogramm (each kilogramm can produce 10kW).
The winding is very simple i don't know why you think it comlicated. 

But if you think you can make it and have the budget: go for it.

Some other remarks:

- does your power density include the volume and weight of the cooling system?

Included only liquid inside the motor. Nobody add cooling system weight in motor weight.

- Your efficiency is pretty poor. I would have hoped for a higher efficiency for an expensive novelty motor.

We have used pessimistic scenario for simulation. The fill factor 0.5, the coils tepm more than 100 C. I think the performance will be around 95%.
One important thing, it's performance at the full power. You may check one is the best motor in the world, at max power it performance less than 90%  
http://emrax.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/emrax_208_technical_data_4.5.pdf
And don't forget the our motor mass 1.2 kg, if we will make 10 kg motor the performance will be increase to 97-98%.

- isn't it much simpler to implement the cooling on a regular PMSM? The cooling would be much more effective if it didn't need such awkward shape.

It is very diffical to get more power density from existing PMSM. Siemense have  reached 5kW/kg  https://www.siemens.com/press/en/feature/2015/corporate/2015-03-electromotor.php?content[]=Corp
But they use CoFe core, it much more expensive then magnets. 
The cooling designe in our case is much more efficient then in existing PMSM. 

• 4 months later...