Cracking sound in sternum

NPK

As everyone does, I often stretch my shoulders and neck back and head a cracking sound...but often I feel tight in the sternum area and feel like i need to crack it. I do, it gives a little sound and it gives me the relief I was after.

Does anyone else feel the need to do this sometimes? And what exactly is happening?

I hope that makes sense!

amazing that you posted that! I was going to ask the same thing a few weeks ago but lacked the time (and then forgot) YES, I get exactly the same here myself and have done for a decade or 2, even when I used to weight train.

I`ve no idea what it is either, it doesn`t hurt but it`s quite loud and is easily heard by others, I can`t confess to it giving me any sort of "releif" though, other than the actualy stretch itself.

considering the liver it to the far right of the body and some distance from the sternum, it would seem unlikely. it wouild have to be a rib break and somewhere in the middle of it to do that.

Also, there is no chest bone below the sternum. Behold: [url']http://www.georgiasouthern.edu/~bmunkasy/3131/UE%20Skeleton%20Web.jpg[/url]

Yes there is - but it's connected to the sternum by cartilage. It's called the "xiphoid process".

Look here:

http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/biology/humananatomy/skeletal/sternum/xiphoid.html

See the dark areas? That's the cartilage that connects the ribs to the sternum - it's flexible so your rib cage will expand when you breathe.

NPK - how do you "crack" your sternum? Injuring the xiphoid process can cause it to get a callus. I separated mine from the rest of my sternum by hanging over the edge of a boat hatch. I was working on the engine with both hands and all my weight was resting on my ribs. There isn't any way to set it, so it healed at an angle - now I have 3 protrusions on my chest rather than two.

Yes there is - but it's connected to the sternum by cartilage. It's called the "xiphoid process".

Look here:

http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/biology/humananatomy/skeletal/sternum/xiphoid.html

See the dark areas? That's the cartilage that connects the ribs to the sternum - it's flexible so your rib cage will expand when you breathe.

NPK - how do you "crack" your sternum? Injuring the xiphoid process can cause it to get a callus. I separated mine from the rest of my sternum by hanging over the edge of a boat hatch. I was working on the engine with both hands and all my weight was resting on my ribs. There isn't any way to set it' date=' so it healed at an angle - now I have 3 protrusions on my chest rather than two.[/quote']

I lean back and push my chest forward if I feel the need to 'crack'. Actually, it isn't really a sharp cracking sound like the sound necks and shoulders make, but it is very audible dulled sound and my girlfriend cringes when she hears it!