War of the Worlds!!

albertlee

My friend has invited me to watch the movie called "War of the Worlds"

However, unfortunately, it is in French. My French isn't capable enough. :P

ANy way, Do you people know why all the tripod machines are defeated? I mean, Tom Cruise only blew up only one tripod machine, and simultaneously, all the others were either weakened or froze, vulnerable by human attacks. For example, there was a scene that the US air force bombers and helicopters were inefective to the shell of the machine. But once one was blown up by Tom, even the infantry could blow up the machine with a bezooka. Btw, what were those birds doing on the machine??

ps, I would like to borrow this novel at the beginning of my school year.

Albert

The microbes killed them. The little bit at the end says something about how as soon as they breathed our air and ate our food they were doomed.

The birds showed that the alien shields were only effective against steel.

Why was it in french??

I thought the movie was poorly made, kinda like the movie was due tomorrow and they were staying up till 4 in the morning to get it done. It didn't explain parts of it very well. For instance the sub plot with the fathers son,they are on the hill with the army and the tripods are comming the son says he needs to see the machines, he needs to go. Then right at the end of the movie he turns up. wtf happend to him?

The only thing I liked about the movie is that it reminded me of Half Life 2, with the loud horn noises the tripods made. Theres a movie I saw a trailer for called "yes men" that looks really good, has anyone seen the movie?

ANy way, Do you people know why all the tripod machines are defeated? I mean, Tom Cruise only blew up only one tripod machine, and simultaneously, all the others were either weakened or froze, vulnerable by human attacks. For example, there was a scene that the US air force bombers and helicopters were inefective to the shell of the machine. But once one was blown up by Tom, even the infantry could blow up the machine with a bezooka. Btw, what were those birds doing on the machine??

As explained the ivaders were destroyed by microbes. This is explained in the voise over at the end of the movie, which, with your weak French, probably why you missed that part.

The destruction of one of the machines by Cruise had nothing to do with the rest of the machines malfunctioning. It did not happen simultaneously. (You have no idea how much time passes between the destruction of the first machine and the scene where they show the rest inactive.

I think the machine destroyed by cruise and the one done in later were nods to the novel again. In it, the Machines were not invunerable(they had no shields) and the humans were able to take a few out; it was just that it wasn't enough to stop or slow the advance of the invaders. Also, once we found an effective tactic against them, the Martians would come up with something to circumvent it.

The shields were added in the first movie made in the 50's and retained in this movie to give the invaders the same degree of "edge" over modern weapons as the original novel gave the Martian's over late 1800's military technology.

The birds were merely an indication that the shield was not functioning for that machine(most likely due to the ailing invaders inside), and thus it was vunerable to weapons now. It is also a nod to the original novel, where the protagonist sees birds circling the hood of a machine and picking at the remains of the dead Martians inside.

Secondly, why do they need human blood?

In the original novel, the martians "fed" on the blood of others, so they used humans as a food source. In order to keep the aspect of the story where the invaders captured live humans, the director just changed this a little so that they used the blood as fertilizer instead. The Red weed is taken from the novel also, so he incorporated the blood into its cultivation.

Is the book pretty good? Is it worth reading after I have already seen both movies?

Definitely read the book, if for no other reason than a sense of history. Written in 1898 by H.G. Wells, a man ahead of his time who more or less invented many of the "themes" of modern SF. (Alien Invasion, time travel, antigravity, invisibility)

I just saw it (I'm a little late :P). If the earth's microbes killed them, then do they not have microbes on their planet? Or were ours different from ours and they had no immunities against them, and if so wouldn't they bring their own microbes that we would not be immune to (like small pox when the spanish arived in the Americas)?

Second, if they had been planning if for millions of years why wouldn't they think of the microbes? They burried the tripods and everything and it didn't occur to them that the earth's germs could hurt them?

Third, why would they have to send down their own people to pilate the tripods anyway? If they have such good technology why can't they just have them on some kind of "remote control"?

It's a metaphor for the arrogance of the british empire.

Generally speaking it was US that gave THEM the diseases in expansionist times, not the other way round.

If they are gonna american-ise and s*** things up, lets at least see some fricking nukes!