Geometric Quantum Gravity poll

Martin

What's your guess as to 2005 postings of CDT research?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What's your guess as to 2005 postings of CDT research?

• Triple last year's? around 12
    • More than double 2004? 9
    • Double last year's? 8
    • One more for the year? 7
    • Just what we already have? 6

There are several approaches to the problem of quantizing gravity which are different from the string approach because not concerned with treating gravity is a force (mediated by graviton particles) in a fixed geometrical setting. These don't attempt to unify all interactions, but instead are based on the Gen Rel premise that GRAVITY IS GEOMETRY.

So what these "geometrical" QG approaches try to do is

quantize spacetime geometry

What geometrical QG approaches have in common is they try to get a handle on all the possible shapes the universe could be, and how the shape evolves. So the goal is to be able to calculate quantum expectation values, of things like the spatial dimension, or things like transition amplitudes of evolving from one shape space to another.

An increasingly prominent line of GQG research is the Triangulations approach invented in 1998 by Loll and Ambjorn. After some initial confusion about what to call it, the authors now call it CDT (causal dynamical triangulations). Here is the growth of CDT papers.

CDT ARXIV POSTINGS 2003 TO PRESENT

2003   3
2004   4
2005(to date)    6

To get the numbers I used these links, excluding from the 2003 list a survey paper which mentioned CDT but was not really about it.

2003:

http://arxiv.org/find/grp_physics/1/OR+OR+abs:+AND+triangulations+AND+Lorentzian+dynamical+abs:+AND+triangulations+AND+causal+dynamical+ti:+AND+gravity+AND+Lorentzian+quantum/0/1/0/2003/0/1

2004:

http://arxiv.org/find/grp_physics/1/OR+OR+abs:+AND+triangulations+AND+Lorentzian+dynamical+abs:+AND+triangulations+AND+causal+dynamical+ti:+AND+gravity+AND+Lorentzian+quantum/0/1/0/2004/0/1

2005 (so far, i.e. up into July):

http://arxiv.org/find/grp_physics/1/OR+OR+abs:+AND+triangulations+AND+Lorentzian+dynamical+abs:+AND+triangulations+AND+causal+dynamical+ti:+AND+gravity+AND+Lorentzian+quantum/0/1/0/2005/0/1

On January 1, 2006, about 6 months from now, we will know what the total CDT postings for 2005 is.

WHAT IS YOUR GUESS ABOUT 2005 POSTINGS OF RESEARCH PAPERS

in this geometrical QG approach?

Triple last year's? around 12

More than double 2004? 9

Double last year's? 8

One more for the year? 7

Just what we already have? 6

It's set up as a public poll so we will know who guessed what,

and then come the first of next year we can see whose guess was closest.

Everyone is welcome to post their guesses individually on this thread too.

I'll go 14!

All those string theorist jumping like rats off a sinking ship have to go somewhere! :D

Have to confess I laughed out loud at this, MacSwell.

I will be more cautious and say 8 (twice last year)

I intended, but somehow failed, to make this a public poll. somehow the box must have come unchecked. those who want, please post your guesses and i will tabulate. I see there is one anonymous who guessed as I did.

OUR PREDICTIONS FOR CDT RESEARCH POSTINGS THIS YEAR

anonymous     8
MacSwell      14
me             8

i was the anonymous guy.

thank you, Yourda

I thought i was going to get the poll to be public but something went awry.

Yourdadonapogos    8
MacSwell          14
me                 8

A new anonymous has predicted 9 research papers this year in

the CDT approach to a geometrical quantum gravity theory.

Mister Nine        9
Yourdadonapogos    8
MacSwell          14
me                 8

As a rule I think it would be best if guessers would reveal their identities so when we check next january we know who predicted what.

MacSwell          14
Spyman            12
Mister Nine        9
Yourdadonapogos    8
me                 8

this is the final version, I will ask YT to kindly lock the thread for us and we can fish these up again after we see how the year goes.

After 1 Jan 2006, the link to use for checking is

http://arxiv.org/find/grp_physics/1/OR+OR+abs:+AND+triangulations+AND+Lorentzian+dynamical+abs:+AND+triangulations+AND+causal+dynamical+ti:+AND+gravity+AND+Lorentzian+quantum/0/1/0/2005/0/1

howevermany that link gets, then whosever guess is closest wins

good luck :)

YT, or other of the SFN powers that be, please lock the thread!