My Idea

Pat Says

I came up with this while cleaning: You know how dust forms in a circle on a t.v. that hasn't been cleaned... well, I am pretty sure this is due to the static electricity. So, I was wondering if I could use place mats (like under lamps) that used static electricity to collect the dust on the surrounding surface thereby elimanting the need to dust. I was thinking you could plug it in or charge it etc. How feasible is this idea and if it is feasible how would you create the static?

Hmm... I guess not. I never thought it through thaat much. I was just noticing how all the dust collected in a circle on the t.v. screen and was trying to put it to good use :/.

the cirlcles of dust are u reffering to like a lamp on top of it???
A lamp on top of what? I was reffering to the screen on a t.v.

or u could get an ionic breeze from menards that does the same thing

I have heard those are _not_ good becuase they create ozone. I don't know how true that is as I can't remember where I heard it, but to each his own I guess.

Pat Says: If you place a charged mat on a T.V. you run teh risk of ruining that T.V. Electricity causes magnetic fields which cause the magnets in the T.V. to act weird, just like putting a magnet on a monitor. It won't happen at once, it will take a while and you prolly won't notice it for a couple of weeks, or even months depending on the strength of the charge. But if you have a entertainment center that the T.V. is in and you place the mat on teh entertainment center, the T.V. should be fine.

BTW, this is from experience. If you put something underneath the mat that could lessen the amount of field that is being generated from hitting your T.V., you should be fine.

No no, I didn't mean to put anything on the t.v. I was just explaining where I got the idea from. I was thinking of putting the mats (like they can replace normal cloth ones used for protecting the furniture.. like lamps and pictures are put on top of) on coffee tables, under lamps, dressers, night stands etc.

or u could get an ionic breeze from menards that does the same thing

I looked at those and they only filter the air. This means that dust will still collect on surfaces (albeit slower) and the occasional dusting will still be necessary.

I think what happens is that as they (the dusters) rub up against the surface that the dust is on, it creates static electricity. Also the seperate "hairs" on the feather will rub together create some static I am sure.

I really don't think they have to charge the dust now that I think about it. Dust is many, many types of particles, all of which have different charges I am sure. The feather dusters just create static and attract the dust particles that do have charges. Since dust is really a big clump of matter, there could be charged and non-charged particles in this clump. The charged particles are attracted and the non charged particles that are in the clump just follow, sorta. I hope that helps.

EDIT: And since the dust is obviously already on teh screen, I assume they already have a charge, or they wouldn't stay would they?

I really don't think they have to charge the dust now that I think about it. Dust is many' date=' many types of particles, all of which have different charges I am sure. The feather dusters just create static and attract the dust particles that do have charges. Since dust is really a big clump of matter, there could be charged and non-charged particles in this clump. The charged particles are attracted and the non charged particles that are in the clump just follow, sorta. I hope that helps.

EDIT: And since the dust is obviously already on teh screen, I assume they already have a charge, or they wouldn't stay would they?[/quote']

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, otherwise nothing else would make sense (the feather duster and t.v. circles). And as for the edit part, I'd assume so... but you know what assuming does?

lets just stick with dusting the screen
I never said anything otherwise.

Here's what I said to use the mats on: "I was thinking of putting the mats (like they can replace normal cloth ones used for protecting the furniture.. like lamps and pictures are put on top of) on coffee tables, under lamps, dressers, night stands etc."

I also said this, which cleared up any possibility of using it on a t.v. :" No no, I didn't mean to put anything on the t.v."