Al/KClO3 safety

rthmjohn

• 2 weeks later...

aluminium and potassium chlorate is NOT flash powder. flash powder is potassium PERchlorate and aluminium. But it can vary. The reason its not a flash powder is because it burns very slowly/hardly at all. if it did burn well then chlorate/Al would be used for flash as KClO3 is easier and cheaper to get than KClO4.

• 5 years later...

Tip: click inside this box to load the editor

alminium and potassium chlorate is NOT flash powder. flash powder is potassium PERchlorate and aluminium. But it can vary. The reason its not a flash powder is because it burns very slowly/hardly at all. if it did burn well then chlorate/Al would be used for flash as KClO3 is easier and cheaper to get than KClO4.

Hate to make my first post disagreeable but kclo3 and aluminum IS A DANGEROUS FLASHPOWDER!!! o4 is used because it is safer!! not safe, but safer. Met a man from Malta lost his leg from knee down, he was luckier than his father who was killed in the incident, o3 flash was the culprit. my method, 5413 al, 04, nothing else!! diaper on newspaper >50 humidty.

• 2 months later...

aluminium and potassium chlorate is NOT flash powder. flash powder is potassium PERchlorate and aluminium. But it can vary. The reason its not a flash powder is because it burns very slowly/hardly at all. if it did burn well then chlorate/Al would be used for flash as KClO3 is easier and cheaper to get than KClO4.

Oh no!

You are quite mistaken!

Potassium chlorate mixed with pryro-grade dark aluminum powder at a 70/30 binary mixture is extremely potent flash powder, especially when sulfer or antimony trisulfide is added to further sensitize it. [if you wish to learn first hand of the sensitivity of potassium chlorate in a safe setting→ take about 20mg of it and mix it with 15mg of sulfer. Thinly spread that mixture upon a flat stone and strike it with a hammer→SNAP..! [wear safety glasses if you wish attempting this experiment]

PLEASE, do not try to prove me wrong. Any chlorate based flash powder is very dangerous because of its high sensitivity to shock,heat,static,or impact.

While all flash powders are dangerous, smart pyrotechnics use potassium perchchlorate as a substitute because it is much more safe. The report of a 7/3 KCLO4 mixture is just as loud as the KCLO3 mixture. That report becomes even louder as you make the ratio 2/1.

What is the SAFEST way to mix these two substances? I don't want to blow my limbs off!

Mixing flash is never 100% safe. But, if you insist on making it the "diaper" method is the safest.

The Diaper Method ↓

Get a large sheet of newspaper and spread it out on a flat surface outside. Now, weigh out your flash chemicals and pour each ingredient through a ~40 mesh seive (to remove any lumps) onto the middle of the paper. Now gently lift up each corner of the paper, lifting the chemicals, and causing them to fall back over themselves. Continue this until the mixture is of a uniform grey consistancy. Your flash is no ready for use. That is all it takes to make good flash powder - NO grinding neccesary. It is best to spray yourself with static guard before mixing, and to use only tools that will not spark or generate static. Also, if possible, have yourself grounded.

Really the consequences of making flash are not worth the making. All flash formulas have the potential of causing severe injury or even death.→ not to mention the legal consequences!

Perchlorates have a stronger oxidation potential but chlorates oxidize much more readily (low activation barrier IIRC). I would be more than cautious around an aluminum powder/KClO3 mix.

Oh for sure!

No one with any knowledge of pyrotechnic chemistry would argue your point.

One thing to keep in mind is that 'Per' means adding one extra 'o' (Oxygen) to the existing compound.

--> Suppose that a recipe calls for 1 tbsp. of say baking powder and you add 2 tbsp. or 1/2 tbsp. of the ingredient, your item will be a flop. Same way in chemistry, using a totally different compound will result in a completely new product (WHICH IN THIS CASE IS NOT WHAT YOU DESIRED)→and in this case most all chlorate based flash is further made sensitive by adding sulfer. [see my post on "exotic" flash formulas in the inorganic chemistry forum.]

True, KCLO3 is cheaper than KCLO4.

But what is your safety worth?

Me?

I ♥ making fireworks; in pyrotechnics, I feel, there is no place for flash made from barium chlorate,potassium chlorate, or even potassium perchlorate.

I do just fine with flash made using the much much more stable oxidizer potassium nitrate.

And, even using that, there is always the risk of unwanted events.

Many of my hobbies/interests are risky. eg.→ skiing,surfing,martial arts. Anything in pyrotechnics has its risks •[ even as much as lighting a match]•

I always make stringent precautions. But, even doing so, there is always→ risk.

Yes, there really are risks in all we do. [how many people die just going to the store for some milk and eggs?]

All we CAN do is try to minimize those risks.