Coloured Gases

Guest Prop

Are there any non toxic coloured gases at all? I've been searcing the internet to find one but haven't come across any yet. I've been putting together a short play where one of the actors has to breathe in a small amount of "poison" gas and i was hoping I could have the gas that they breathe in be green but any colour would do really. Any suggestions?

I honestly do not believe that there are any colored gases which are non-toxic. All gases that I know of which have a color are quite toxic and corrosive. (NO2, Cl2, Br2, I2, etc. etc.). Of those gases, only Cl2 can be considered 'green', but if you had enough of it to see the green color, you'd be dead if you were close enough to inhale it.

have a look at step 2 on this page: http://www.shape.com/lookgreat/7656

that evian mineral water mist is propelled by Nitrogen gas and is totaly harmless, you can buy it from almost any chemist.

if you shone a green light into the mist, it would look awesome! :)

if you needed something on a larger scale, you could hire a fog machine from DJ supply shops too, you can even get scented "Gas" :)

Colored Smoke Bombs are very complicated. Myself and LatentHeat have only attempted the Regular White Smoke Potassium Nitrate + Sugar smoke Bomb. the other ones involve a lot more chemicals. if you want more info on making them, United Nuclear has a section on making smoke bombs. But if you really wanted colored ones without the hassle of making them, your local "Party Stop" should have them. or if you live in a state where fireworks are legal, every other store is most likely a fireworks shop. good luck .

there are no colorants in ANY smoke bomb that are safe to inhale!

You are correct.

I like that brilliant idea of using bright LED and water mist because they will be strikingly more photogenic than inhaling a colour haze of gas.

I have encountered a miniature Japanese mist machine founded on a piezoelectric ultrasonic frequency vibrator, which happens to include LED for show effects. The whole assembly might fit into a glass of water. The problem is that the battery powered version was ten times more expensive if I correctly recall.

This means that you have to evaluate your costs; which is cheaper, the technical device or killing an actor? :D

where and how does the actor have to breathe the poison gas.... if i can remember theres this formula for a pure oxygen and water vapor ..... its great and looks liek a very very thick cloud of dry ice smoke. it uses H2O2 i just forgot the formula. its great and you can use very small amounts for a large cloud

reminds me of a guy on an other forum who claimed he had proof that H2O2 was more stable than water and that water "spontaneously decomposed into H2O2". he never gave us any actual proofs though

Industrial production of H2O2 involves (2-ethyl or 2-pentyl-anthraquinone) being converted into (2-ethyl or 2-pentyl-anthraquinol) by a catalysed and hydrogen gas in a hydrogenation reaction, then back to (2-ethyl or 2-pentyl-anthraquinone) by another catalysed and oxygen gas in an oxygenation reaction.

Finally H2O2 is extracted by water and separated from the aromatic keton.