Infected bug bites suck!

jdurg

Out on the golf course yesterday, I became an all you can eat buffet for the mosquitos in the area. (I actually caught one of them in the process of feeding off of me. It was kind of cool to see. I swatted it away and it left its snout stuck in my arm, and every time my heart beat the snout would twitch a bit). Anyway, when the mosquitos first bit it just itched a tiny bit but I left it alone and just put some rubbing alcohol on it. Today, however, the two bites that I have noticed have swelled up tremendously! It now looks like I have a golfball under my left forearm and my right wrist. I'm going to get it checked out after work, but since they are both quite red, swollen, and warm to the touch I can only assume that they are infected. Man this sucks!

Heat and inflammation are caused by a histamine response. This can mean either that you are reacting to the bites in those areas immunologically, or that the bites are infected. It's not unusual for mosquito bites to swell and become inflamed, especially in tender skin areas (e.g. under the arm, wrist etc.). However, it is unusual for them to become infected, unless you scratch them and introduce the infection that way. Try a cold compress on them. If they don't reduce by tomorrow, get them checked out.

Well, I've been meaning to get my sore right hand checked out anyway, so this just gives me a further excuse. I have a couple more mosquito bites on my back and right upper arm, but those two aren't puffing up and turning rock hard and deep red/purple like the one on my right wrist (Right underneath where the thumb meets the hand) and my right elbow/forearm. (About an inch up from the elbow on the back side of my forearm).

I went to the clinic yesterday and the doctor there took one look at it and said that it was infected. So I was prescribed some antibiotics, antihistamines, and anti-inflammatories. While at the clinic, I also had my right hand/wrist x-rayed. It is still bothering me a tiny little bit if I move my hand/wrist wrong while gripping something. On the x-rays, what appeared to be two tiny 3-4mm long hairline fractures exist on two of the bones at the bottom of the right hand where the hand meets the wrist. The doctor said that they are probably some compression/stress hairline fractures that formed when I hit the ground while swining my golf clubs. However, they are so tiny that they didn't break through the outer portion of the bone, hence the little to no swelling that I experienced. In reality, there is nothing that could be done or needed to be done since there is no risk of displacement or further damage happening unless I do something really stupid. So he just gave me some arthritis medication to help ease the soreness and told me to drink plenty of milk. If it's still sore in a few weeks, then I'm to come back and I'll be directed to an orthopedist so they can get other in depth scans done to check for tissue damage. (However I doubt it will still be sore then. The nabumetone(sp?) they gave me has gotten rid of the residual soreness).

BLIKE, if you read this, show him that link to the spider bite picture you posted a year or so ago, the one on that guys hand.

I can`t find it or rem a search engine keyword(s).

ya can delete this when you`ve posted it :)

BenSon brand Home remedy for itchy and red mosquito bites ;) :

Now this will sound a bit wierd but just hear me out. Spit on the bite then punch it(hard) a few times. (rinse and repeat as necessary :cool: ) Strange I know but it does work.

~Scott