Questions on semi super conductor materials methods

sunshaker

I have been thinking on semi/super conductor elements/compounds and processes, I know there is a lot I do not understand, but would like to ask the odd question,

My first, which will help me refine/dismiss a few ideas, Is about the effect of magnetic fields, and whether they do or could play a part in what temperature a element/compound has to be cooled to?

or the amount of pressure needed to phase change?

I ask this has a believe rightly or wrongly that magnetic fields alter the electrons orbital, either slowing/speeding up, or altering its radius,

Take for instance 2d Boron, which is only a atom thickness, but would have to be cooled to 10-20 Kelvin,

Would a magnetic field have an effect, on its electron orbitals?

Perhaps then not needing such a low temperature, to reach super conductivity?

http://spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/semiconductors/materials/2d-boron-is-an-intrinsic-superconductor

Hi sunshaker,

Magnetic fields do alter orbitals. The proper theory for orbitals is quantum mechanics, and its description of orbitals wouldn't straightly say "speed" and "radius", but this image isn't very wrong. Try to read about the Zeeman effect.

Possible states for the mobile electrons in a solid result in part from orbitals, which are stationary states of electrons in isolated lone atoms, but heavily modified by the interaction of the atoms as they're close to an other, so deducing the solid's behaviour from atomic orbitals would be difficult or possibly sterile.

The effect of magnetic fields on superconductivity is known: it hampers, for every material I know. The effect is well explained and doesn't result from the Zeeman effect. A stronger external induction implies a colder temperature to reach superconductivity, or implies a smaller current density, or both. Even at extreme cold and tiny current density, there is a maximum induction beyond which superconductivity is impossible, it's called the critical induction. Well, in type II superconductors, there are two transitions, but they behave identically. Have a look at Wikipedia.

Pressure is needed with some materials only. As the induction hampers superconductivity, my guess is that it would imply a bigger pressure.