The constellations of the zodiac

Dart15

Hi,

The table below is my construct (based on various sources) showing the dates for the signs of the zodiac. The first column shows the dates as they "should" be when Precession is included. The second column contains the dates as they are used in Astrology today. The third column indicates when (in the northern hemisphere - UK) it is best to observe the constellations.

What I do not understand is why the dates in column 1 and column 3 are not 6 months apart given that column 1 indicates when the sun "is in" the constellation, surely means that 6 months earlier or later would be the best time to observe the constellation as it would then be on the other side of the Earth from the sun? In other words least effected by the suns light ?

Dates should be now Astrology dates: Best To Observe:
given Precession

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3

Capricorn - Jan 20 to Feb 16 December 22 - January 19 sept - oct
Aquarius - Feb 16 to Mar 11 January 20 - February 18 sept-oct
Pisces - Mar 11 to Apr 18 February 19 - March 20 nov - dec
Aries - Apr 18 to May 13 March 21-April 19 nov- dec
Taurus - May 13 to Jun 21 April 20 - May 20 Jan - Feb
Gemini - Jun 21 to Jul 20 May 21 - June 20 Jan - Feb
Cancer - Jul 20 to Aug 10 June 21 - July 22 mar - Apr
Leo - Aug 10 to Sep 16 July 23-August 22 mar - apr
Virgo - Sep 16 to Oct 30 August 23 - September 22 may - june
Libra - Oct 30 to Nov 23 September 23 - October 22 may - june
Scorpius - Nov 23 to Nov 29 October 23 - November 21 June
Sagittarius - Dec 17 to Jan 20 November 22 - December 21 jul - Aug

What I do not understand is why the dates in column 1 and column 3 are not 6 months apart given that column 1 indicates when the sun "is in" the constellation, surely means that 6 months earlier or later would be the best time to observe the constellation as it would then be on the other side of the Earth from the sun? In other words least effected by the suns light ?

If the question is about the best time to observe the constellations, as far as I can see, the dates given are around six months from those in column 1, so I don't really see what the problem is. I can't see why a month or two's variation is going to make any difference to viewing conditions.

Edited by DrKrettin