I have an old PII what to do.

Edward

It doesen't have a vid card but I can put one in temporally to set it up for what ever. It is a PII 233 and has a 120 GB hard drive with XP or 98 SE installed (not yet but ill be putting one in.

I want to hook it up to my home network and be able to access my hard drive from all the computers on the network and I hope I'll be able to access the files from anywere ie school.

Firstly is what I want to do possible?

What security is avaible ie acessing the hd from the internet requires a password.

Finnally My router has capeablity to connect four computers to the internet (one port for cable modem and 4 for computers) There are allready 4 hooked up. The PII has two ethernet cards so should I hook it up between the router and cabel modem or the router and a computer?

My advice, install linux, will make setting up a little server much more useable.

Win xp doesn't really like running headless (no monitor, and not sure if it'll run at all without a graphics card? not something I've tried), or running as a server (esspecailly home) if you do really want to use xp, you can set up file shares etc... not sure if you can open them to the internet or just to your local network, but that is much more annoying in xp home/98.

What I would do is put linux on the machine, install an FTP daemon, (or just set up one installed with the distro base install depending on the distro), that would allow for security and easily accessable from remote locations. (Internet explorer can act as an ftp client to connect and download etc...) But becareful because some ISP's really don't like you doing that kind of thing.

It is also possible to set up ftp daemons on windows, but I wouldn't recomend it.

I also am using an old pII 300. 20gb HDD, a 1mb vid card, and a 512mb ram (it only reads 256mb of it), I would reccomend re-flashing the BIOS though, I did mine and it`s not Quite so crappy as it was.

If you come up with something better than my current set-up I also would be quite happy to hear of it too, this set-up really sucks :(