Getting into Advanced Physics

nkramer910

As an avid learner, I am always hungry for new knowledge. One area which interests me extremely is that of Physics. I have done intro-level physics on Khan Academy, but I want to get more advanced. I understand I will need knowledge, and potentially mastery, of Calculus, and as I am only in Pre-Calculus right now, I know I will have to learn Calculus before I am able to understand Physics better. I'm interested in mostly Theoretical Physics, especially in fields like Quantum, Particle, and Astro, and was wondering if anyone here knew if there is a path that I can take that would help me to understand and be able to participate in these sciences more. I don't mind reading textbooks or lengthy books on Physics and Calculus, and also love lectures and such, so there are no real bad options. I just want to be able to understand and learn more about the Theoretical Physics, as they interest me immensely. Thank you!

-- I understand that there are a lot of fundamentals needed to be learned before Theoretical Physics can even be brought up and that this is like me asking you all to teach a baby how to run, so I am most definitely not afraid of learning how to crawl, waddle, walk, and jog first.

Edited by nkramer910

How about experimental physics.. ?

You can build Cloud Chamber for less than $50 by yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_chamber

And then observe decays of radioactive isotopes, observe highly accelerated electrons, muons, pions, kaons, created by cosmic rays, passing through device..

Gold foil (Rutherford) experiment replicated in Cloud Chamber

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geiger%E2%80%93Marsden_experiment

Before going into theoretical physics you MUST know, understand and have full knowledge of classical physics including electromagnetism, fluid mechanics and wave motion.

And you also need to know a good deal of mathematics. Only calculus won't help. Learn vectors, linear algebra, progression, probability, statistics, coordinate geometry, differential and integral calculus. You must be skilled in solving differential equations.