I want to learn a software that can allow me to be productive

netopatineto

Hello, scienceforums.net

In an effort to quit using my expensive laptop exclusively for video games, I want to replace said hobby with a healthier one. I would like to practice with any software, that once mastered, would yield any kind of profit (economic, artistic, anything that rewards me for my well spent time).

I was thinking about multivariable statistics, or mechanical simulations (SAS and ANSYS respectively) but I am just in my freshmen year of Mechatronics engineering (No Vectorial Calculus, Differential equations math courses taken yet).

I am not patient with art, but I am willing to learn 3D rendering software if recommended.

I love the TV Show "Bones", because of all the scientific equipment (and software) they use and because of the logic that almost every character uses in their reasoning. I am thinking crime scene rendering, physics simulator, remodeling, etc..

On the other hand, I suspect the best way to practice logic is by programming unless somebody thinks otherwise (?). My goal is to become a scientist so I would like to start gathering tools that could help me get at a higher level of expertise.

If I were to study a programming language, I would like to focus on Artificial Intelligence, I believe OpenCL is a programming language to teach cameras to identify objects (?).

Also I kinda like teaching stuff once I understood and liked a topic, any software to animate and produce educative content?

Thank you a lot beforehand

Edited by netopatineto

In an effort to quit using my expensive laptop exclusively for video games, I want to replace said hobby with a healthier one

Very wise move.

I would like to practice with any software, that once mastered, would yield any kind of profit (economic, artistic, anything that rewards me for my well spent time).

Then download demo versions of 3D package, 2D gfx software, music software, and try working with them, learning tools until expiration of test period.

(Google for: LightWave 3D, Cinema 4D, 3D Studio Max, Maya, Blender (it's free but tragic GUI), Houdini)

Then download Visual Studio Express/Community, it's for free to download from Microsoft website f.e.:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48146

(I recommend ISO version, to burn on DVD)

I was thinking about multivariable statistics, or mechanical simulations (SAS and ANSYS respectively)

Earning and living from it, would be nearly impossible, without fully finished education. And even then quite limited possibilities to get a job IMHO..

I am not patient with art, but I am willing to learn 3D rendering software if recommended.

Anyone can learn making 3D objects by himself/herself. It is (or could be) more engineering type of job, than art.

3D "artists" do not have to make textures by himself/herself. You can cooperate with the real 2D artist (or photographer), or buy ready packages with them on net.

3D "artists" do not have to render 3D. They can make 3D objects, and sell them online.

Additionally experience in 3D modeling will be useful for 3D printing (there is no normal art in it at all).

f.e. get catalogue with houses where you have blueprints and photos with ready houses

(estate developers/construction companies are giving such catalogues for free here for potential customers)

Then scan/photograph blueprint with one of houses, put as backdrop/background image in 3D application, and try recreate their house in 3D package.

(YouTube search for "house blueprint 3d" or so, and watch videos)

Make 10 such houses from catalogue (it'll be your 3D CV portfolio), and you can get a job in the most of estate construction companies.

They need 3D "artists" to make visualizations of buildings they sell. (It's called archviz interior and archviz exterior)

Such house portfolio could be also useful to get a job in computer game making IT company. They need people for creating environment where players are walking.

I believe OpenCL is a programming language to teach cameras to identify objects (?).

No. OpenCL is for programming GPU, processors that you have on gfx card.

Okay. I would suggest starting from downloading Visual Studio Community. And try following videos:

Simply pause often video (every 10-15 seconds) and repeat what he is doing by yourself in Visual Studio.

Edited by Sensei

Very wise move.

Then download demo versions of 3D package, 2D gfx software, music software, and try working with them, learning tools until expiration of test period.

(Google for: LightWave 3D, Cinema 4D, 3D Studio Max, Maya, Blender (it's free but tragic GUI), Houdini)

Then download Visual Studio Express/Community, it's for free to download from Microsoft website f.e.:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48146

(I recommend ISO version, to burn on DVD)

Earning and living from it, would be nearly impossible, without fully finished education. And even then quite limited possibilities to get a job IMHO..

Anyone can learn making 3D objects by himself/herself. It is (or could be) more engineering type of job, than art.

3D "artists" do not have to make textures by himself/herself. You can cooperate with the real 2D artist (or photographer), or buy ready packages with them on net.

3D "artists" do not have to render 3D. They can make 3D objects, and sell them online.

Additionally experience in 3D modeling will be useful for 3D printing (there is no normal art in it at all).

f.e. get catalogue with houses where you have blueprints and photos with ready houses

(estate developers/construction companies are giving such catalogues for free here for potential customers)

Then scan/photograph blueprint with one of houses, put as backdrop/background image in 3D application, and try recreate their house in 3D package.

(YouTube search for "house blueprint 3d" or so, and watch videos)

Make 10 such houses from catalogue (it'll be your 3D CV portfolio), and you can get a job in the most of estate construction companies.

They need 3D "artists" to make visualizations of buildings they sell. (It's called archviz interior and archviz exterior)

Such house portfolio could be also useful to get a job in computer game making IT company. They need people for creating environment where players are walking.

No. OpenCL is for programming GPU, processors that you have on gfx card.

Okay. I would suggest starting from downloading Visual Studio Community. And try following videos:

Simply pause often video (every 10-15 seconds) and repeat what he is doing by yourself in Visual Studio.

Wow that's an answer! thanks a lot for your detailed advice. So glad to have joined this forum.

How incredibly insulting to actual artists :( You think this is easy to make? You need real artistic skill to produce work like this, and it has nothing to do with engineering. It's art, period.

3817947ae7864acc6d7ec47ef5241013.jpg

How incredibly insulting to actual artists :( You think this is easy to make? You need real artistic skill to produce work like this, and it has nothing to do with engineering. It's art, period.

Obviously what you showed is beautiful and it is art. It also requires days or even weeks of work to finish, and years of learning.

Showing above result, and saying "you can make it in couple weeks" would completely discourage him from even trying 3D application. Counter-productive answer.

But I was trying to convince somebody who said "I am not patient with art," that he can try non-organic 3D first, to see whether he likes it or not,

and it'll be like engineering type of work (working in AutoCAD nobody would call "art", isn't? It's also 3D..)

I didn't mean to insult anybody. Especially hard working artists (we all know how realistic could be modern movies). But OP clearly is not one of them (yet).

It's normal that somebody who has no idea about 3D is starting from non-organic modeling.

As it's fast to learn, and fast to master, and can easily be monetized. Which seems priority of OP.

Organic modeling is further level of education.

Here is example video of modeling organic object, dinosaur:

It took more than 3 hours..

Edited by Sensei