Bodmas

YT2095

mean using BODMAS as I was taught in class, the `O` part is OF. so it`s LIKE Division but specificly for Fractions, that covers the BO part.

then next we encounter normal division (the D part) and the rest is easy.

Yeah thats right you got it now :)

btw, I`m seconds away from regreting that I asked about it :(
Why? This is like the first time I've been able to help you with something :) Glad to return the help

~Scott

Why? This is like the first time I've been able to help you with something :) Glad to return the help

~Scott

True, and I`m gratefull for it :)

it`s just that Me and Maths... well let`s just say we`re NOT the best of buddies, and yes I DO get confused/lost quite easily with the wording of some of it, and if I get the tiniest hint of "Duuugh it`s simple! YT" then I switch off, as it takes me back to childhood, and that was NOT GOOD!

that aside as my reason WHY I feel that way, I`m still interested in it but on my OWN terms and put in ways I can understand (basicly keep it simple and practical in a way I can use or see).

I don`t mind admitting that I`m a bit of a Dunce with the subject, but I`m good at other things, so who cares :)

cheers all :)

Your almost right

:mad:ITS BIMDAS !!! :mad:

....Ok maybe i need the blue pills :D....

~Scott

no, there is something called BIMDAS, it would appear, and there is something called BODMAS too. As we can see they are demonstrably different. Why do you think that they must be identical? Because they have similar acronyms and do simliar things? So what? In BODMAS the O is for 'of'. And don't start the "but of means division" thing, whoever it was who did that, since division is actually mutliplication as well so there's lots of redundancy.

I had quoted BIDMAS I say the M and D should be the other way around hence BIMDAS' date=' escentialy the same thing. Jeez it was just a joke grimey. :)

~Scott[/quote']

perhaps what you DON`T understand is that by telling a math joke to someone like me, I`m likely to beleive you when I`m seeking help, I`m not good enough at it to know the difference, and since I have No Reason to distrust most of the users here, I`ll accept what you say, and it may take me zero time to never before I find out that what you said was false.

I`m not good enough at maths to appreciate it anyway, so it`s wasted on 2 counts! :)

I had quoted BIDMAS I say the M and D should be the other way around hence BIMDAS' date=' escentialy the same thing. Jeez it was just a joke grimey. :)

~Scott[/quote']

did i say anything about bimdas and bidmas? no i was pointing out that bodmas is perfectly well known and you weren't helping by compaounding the issue that someone else raised by saying he was wrong and it should be an I. He asked about bOdmas, what the O was, nothing to do with I at all.

And please do not diminutize my surname; you do not know me and such familiarity is not welcome.

It stands for orders, as in the exponential degree to which a number is raised. Basically means powers, but BPDMAS is a crap acronym. I don't know why you'd be taught that it meant "of" as fractions are just divides and I don't see why they would have priority over other divisions, or why they would even be treated separately

I also learnt it was brackets-order-division-multiplication-addition-subtraction, although I got warned by a second form teacher that some people used index instead of order, which didn't really matter as it referred to the same thing. Further I understood that within B you just had the recursive hierarchy BODMAS going again. I'm not sure what the hullabaloo's about - it seemed simple enough when I was 12 and I don't think it's one of those things that get more complicated as you get older... :D

It stands for orders, as in the exponential degree to which a number is raised. Basically means powers, but BPDMAS is a crap acronym. I don't know why you'd be taught that it meant "of" as fractions are just divides and I don't see why they would have priority over other divisions, or why they would even be treated separately

because that's what some schools teach! Just as some schools teach I(ndices) and so on, and the whole point of the thread shows that things are not universal.

Why teach divides since that's just multiplication as well, as are indices and orders in some sense: if 2^2 mneans 2*2, then any number to any power out to have the same precedence as this. And what about other functional valuations? We got taught bodmas before indices, you see, and in primary school OF often appears in the questions. It's crap I know, but then so is the whole acronym thing, though Orders does make more sense.

It is BODMAS, BIDMAS, BEDMAS, and even PEMDAS depending where you come from!

The second term means order/index/exponent or whatever you want to call that thing where you raise something to a power.

Multiply and Divide are supposed to rank evenly and so are performed left-to-right in the absence of any other information.

I have a little page on it here: http://www.mathsisfun.com/operation-order-bodmas.html