Arrest related deaths at 1,900 Jun 15' - May 16'

Ten oz

The Bureau of Justice Statistics has release new figures for the number of arrest related deaths around the country and the number is higher than earlier estimate.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/ardprs1516pf.pdf

In the past we have debated reason why this happens, compared it stats from other countries, argued about which protest methods are acceptable, and etc. For the sake of this thread I am assuming we all agree the number should be less and that this is a problem which must be addressed structurally (policy, training, organiztion, equipment, etc). Given our new political climate what can be done structurally and where would it begin?

• 1 year later...

Police officers killed 1,129 people in 2017. Watching the below video of a police officer repeatedly punching an unarmed teenage girl I was reminded of this thread and the fact that Police in the U.S. kill thousands of citizens every year. A staggering number which has no parallel in the Western World. 

Edited by Ten oz

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

make the police officers account for their actions in a court, where Justice can be seen.

A lot of officers have been taken to court and found not guilty of violating procedure. I think we need to go further.