Question about Einstein's theory of space travel.

cHIs-

Have scientists near enough gave up on space travel , e.g. traveling at light speed, just becuase Einstein said it wasnt possible?

How much work do they do on this now days?

(Im not dissing Einstein or anything, correct me if im wrong, i know nothing :P).

Originally posted by cHIs-

Have scientists near enough gave up on space travel , e.g. traveling at light speed, just becuase Einstein said it wasnt possible?

How much work do they do on this now days?

(Im not dissing Einstein or anything, correct me if im wrong, i know nothing :P).

Well, for the most part, yes. But understand einstein didn't just "say" its not possible, he showed why. His claims have been under scrutiny since he made them but so far they've held up under testing. There are also other more practical reasons we can't travel light speed. It would take forever to accelerate and slow down, consume lots and lots of energy, etc.

It is nothing to do with einstein and more to do with money and available technology. Even if the universe were purely newtonian, and for all the things we have achieved in space, it mostly is, it would take alot of effort to even get to mars. One of the main issues at the moment is power availability... all methods of getting into space at the moment are chemical, and this is a really bad way to do it. Once someone finally coughs up enough money to build a superconducting launch ramp (I have seen viable, but hugely expensive proposals) then space travel will become much easier. Failing that, a space elevator (I heard recently that with the improvement of material science, this is becoming a feasible possibility now) would be the best thing. Once we actually have a foothold off world (the ISS is not even a fingernail grip, proverbialy speaking then space travel and technology development will zoom ahead. It may be that we never travel past c, but it doesn't really matter, we will still end up colonising the galaxy, at the very least.