LCD versus optic fiber

fredreload

Now don't call me stupid here I've looked at how LCD monitor works. But in my head I am looking for a fiber optic display. Fiber optic transfer light, but it sounds a bit weird having to beam the light on each fiber precisely on the side of the screen to generate an output in comparison to running electricity and changing voltage for an LCD monitor. But hey, the theoretical result is this monitor can act as both a display and a touch screen like this display here without the camera and it lasts a long time. I'm looking into this because of the flexible display design here that peak my interest. Eventually I want to apply this technology to an AR glasses. Now graphene is introduced for flexible display here for its conductivity. So, I want to hear what you guys think about the monitor display and how graphene works with LCD because I still do not fully understand the design

Time and data is lost in the conversion of digital to analog. Time is also lost in the conversion of electricity to light. Generally electricity is faster over short distances. Hence why most houses in towns and cities use cat5e Ethernet cable and converion to light generally only happens at the exchange. But hey I'm a networking guy what would I know?

Edited by fiveworlds

You are right there is data loss for light, well but the sole purpose of liquid crystal is to adjust the intensity of the light. Voltage = intensity. So I mean for those cool flexible monitors maybe there is an alternative way to changing the intensity of the light? Some type of filter technique

Edited by fredreload

OLEDS is that being possibly one of the smallest light source. That gives the ability to electrically control the screen at a pixel scale without the back light since it is a light source on its own. What I would compare it with is an array of smallest RGB LEDS. That and having it being completely transparent and wearable device does have its limitations. But that wouldn't stop us from overloading arrays of small LEDS and create display from it. Possibly for bigger devices or for some college project designs.