Chloro-xylenol kills frogs, but how?

Hi all,

I am conducting a group research project currently and I am seeking the answer to how Chloro-xylenol (4-chloro-3,5-dimethylphenol) kills bacteria and extensively kills amphibious organisms. I have found numerous articles stating that this chemical does in fact kill these organisms, however does not go into detail of how. Noone seems to know at this stage.

So far I have found that the chemical can disrupt an organism's membrane potential leading to a complete lack of ATP production, however this information was discovered from a questionable source. Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

As a general thing one should mention that the action antiseptics/antimicrobials on cells is usually very different to the mode of toxicity in more complex organisms. In the case of chloroxylenol it is generally assumed that due to the phenolic nature that it works on bacterial membranes. However, the actual molecular mechanisms was still unknown last time I read about it (ca. 2010). This is not unusual for many antiseptics, as in many cases only their efficacy has been tested. Even for compounds that have been used for a very long time there are only rough models of action, with little molecular information.

As such I doubt that it is well known how chloroxylenol precisely works. However, a general mode of action that is suspected for this class of compounds is endocrine disruption. In cases of amphibians and fish the effects are often stronger than in mammals and other animals as they absorb it more efficiently. I.e. the overall body burden is higher when applied externally.

"Chloroxylenol (4-chloro-3,5-dimethylphenol; p -chloro- m -xylenol) is the key halophenol used in antiseptic or disinfectant formulations (66). Chloroxylenol is bactericidal, but P. aeruginosa and many molds are highly resistant (66, 432). Surprisingly, its mechanism of action has been little studied despite its widespread use over many years. Because of its phenolic nature, it would be expected to have an effect on microbial membranes." I found this in a review:

1. Clin. Microbiol. Rev. January 1999 vol. 12 no. 1 147-1791 January 1999
Edited by BabcockHall